To be designated as a Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC), a library must meet specific requirements and agree to fulfill certain obligations as outlined in the brochure Notes on Becoming a Patent and Trademark Resource Center. A PTRC must provide public accessibility to products and services, offer patent and trademark training as well as provide reference assistance and outreach to the public. The intellectual property resources of some libraries significantly exceed the core requirements. All libraries have access to U.S. patents since 1790. To visit your nearest PTRC, consult the Patent and Trademark Resource Centers Map. Due to variations in the hours of service to the public anyone contemplating the use of a particular patent and trademark resource center is advised to contact that library.
Printed and Electronic Resources
All PTRCs provide access to a core collection. Other resources available via the USPTO Website (unless indicated) include the following:
- USPTO Web Patent Database - Full text of all U.S. patents issued since January 1, 1976 and images and PDFs of every patent issued since 1790.
- General Information Concerning Patents - Provides information in nontechnical language concerning the application for and granting of patents. Answers some of the most frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the patent application process. (Print and the USPTO Web site)
- Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP) - USPTO Patent Examiners' guide to examination practice.
- How to Conduct a Preliminary U.S. Patent Search: A Step by Step Strategy - Web based tutorial (36 minutes)
- The Seven-Step Strategy - Outlines a suggested procedure for patent searching
- Patents: The Collection for All Reasons - Describes the way in which this unique resource can be used.
- Cooperative Patent Classification (CPC) System (CPC Website)
- International Patent Classification (IPC) System (WIPO Website)
- Patent Document Kind Codes
- PubEAST - The "public" version of the Examiner's Automated Search Tool provides seamless access for searching patent full-text and abstract databases. More information... (Access via a PTRC Workstation)
- PubWEST - The "public" version of the Web-based Examiner's Search Tool offers a server-based application tool for searching patent full-text and abstract databases. More information... (Access via a PTRC Workstation)
- Trademark Electronic Search System (TESS) - TESS provides access to the same text and image database of trademarks as currently provided to examining attorneys at the USPTO.
- Basic Facts About Trademarks - Includes forms and instructions for filing applications to register trademarks and service marks. (Print and the USPTO Website)
- Seven Step Federal Trademark Search Strategy - Outlines a suggested procedure for trademark searching PDF version
- Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) - USPTO Trademark Examiners' guide to examination practice.
- Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) Manual of Procedure (TBMP) - USPTO guide to examination practice
- Trademark Acceptable Identification of Goods and Services Manual - An alphabetical index of goods and services identified by International class
- International Schedule of Classes of Goods and Services - International trademark classification and the headings of the international trademark classes
- Attorneys and Agents Registered to Practice Before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office - A list by state, name, and address of practitioners authorized to practice before the USPTO