The following laws, regulations, policies, procedures, guidance and training apply to the patent process.
- Patent Rules, Consolidated [PDF]
- Patent Laws, Consolidated [PDF]
- Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP), Patent Procedures & related guides
- Patent-Related Notices
- Examination Guidance and Training Materials
Materials related to 35 U.S.C. 101/112/103, America Invents Act,
Patent Trial & Appeal Board, and Best Practices in Examination
- Subject Matter Eligibility
- Leahy-Smith America Invents Act (AIA) Implementation
- American Inventors Protection Act of 1999 (AIPA)
- Patent Business Goals - Final Rule (PBG) (2000)
- 1997 Changes to Patent Practice and Procedure
NOTE: The information contained in Archival Materials was correct at the time of original publication. Some information may no longer be applicable. For example, amendments may have been made to the rules of practice since the original date of a publication, there may have been a change in any fees indicated, and certain references to publications may no longer be valid. Wherever there is a reference to a statute or rule, please check carefully whether the statute or rule in force at the date of publication of the advice has since been amended.
- Also see: How to Find Laws and Regulations
an explanation of 35 USC and 37 CFR notations
- Learn more about Examination Policy.
- Locate more patent resources and guidance.
Some contents linked to on this page require a plug-in for PDF and DOC files