2015 Fee Reduction Highlights:
- The TEAS Plus initial application fee was reduced by $50, to $225 per class of goods/services.
- TEAS Reduced Fee (TEAS RF) is a new application filing option with a fee of $275 per class of goods/services, which promotes electronic communication and application processing while giving applicants more flexibility in identifying their goods and/or services.
- The fee to electronically renew a trademark registration was reduced by $100, to $300 per class of goods/services.
2017 Fee Adjustment:
The USPTO amended its rules to set, increase or decrease certain trademark fees, effective January 14, 2017. See our Trademark fee changes page for more information and resources related to the Jan. 14, 2017 changes.
Overview of TEAS application filing options effective Jan. 14, 2017:
|Questions||TEAS Plus||TEAS Reduced Fee (TEAS RF)||TEAS Regular|
|What is the filing fee per class of goods/services?||$225||$275||$400 (effective Jan. 14, 2017)|
|Must the application include an e-mail address and authorization for the USPTO to send application-related e-mail correspondence?||Yes||Yes||No|
|Must certain subsequent application-related submissions, such as responses to Office actions, be filed via TEAS?||Yes||Yes||No|
|Must the identification of goods/services be selected from the USPTO Trademark ID Manual?||Yes||No||No|
|Must the filing fee per class for all classes listed in the application be paid upfront?||Yes||No||No|
|Must certain statements regarding the mark be provided in the application as filed, if applicable (e.g., translation statement, claim of ownership, color claim and description, if applicable)?||Yes - see TMEP §819.01||No||No|
|Is there an additional processing fee if applicant does not satisfy the relevant filing option requirements?||Yes - $125 per class of goods/services (effective Jan. 14, 2017)||Yes - $125 per class of goods/services (effective Jan. 14, 2017)||No|
Frequently Asked Questions:
Why were fees reduced in 2015 and when will the new 2015 fees take effect?
As authorized by the Leahy-Smith America Invents Act, the USPTO amended its regulations to reduce certain trademark fees in order to: (1) continue with an appropriate and sustainable funding model; (2) support strategic objectives relating to online filing, electronic file management, and workflow; and (3) improve efficiency for USPTO operations and customers. The reduced fees and the TEAS RF filing option went into effect on January 17, 2015. A link to the full text of the final rule changing the fees is available under “Recent Final Rules” at www.uspto.gov/trademarks/law/index.jsp.
What TEAS application filing options are available as of January 14, 2017?
Beginning January 14, 2017, the TEAS application filing options and fees are as follows:
TEAS Plus: The TEAS Plus application filing option, for trademark and service mark applications on the Principal Register, offers the lowest filing fee, at $225 per class of goods and/or services, but has the strictest requirements.
In addition to the minimum filing requirements, TEAS Plus applications must include the following at the time the application is filed:
- The filing fee for all classes listed in the application;
- An identification of goods and/or services taken directly from the USPTO Trademark ID Manual;
- Certain mark-related information, if applicable, e.g., translation statement regarding non-English wording, color claim and description for marks featuring color;
- A correspondence e-mail address and authorization for the USPTO to send e-mail correspondence concerning the application throughout the application process.
In addition, TEAS Plus applicants must agree to electronically file, through TEAS, certain application-related submissions that may be filed during the application process, such as voluntary amendments and responses to Office actions. An applicant who files a TEAS Plus application but does not satisfy the relevant requirements will be required to submit an additional processing fee of $125 per class of goods or services. Further information about the TEAS Plus application requirements can be found at TMEP §819.01.
TEAS Reduced Fee (TEAS RF): The TEAS RF filing option has a filing fee of $275 per class of goods and/or services and requires the applicant to (1) provide an e-mail address and authorize the USPTO to send e-mail correspondence concerning the application throughout the application process and (2) agree to electronically file, through TEAS, certain application-related submissions that may be filed during the application process, such as voluntary amendments and responses to Office actions. However, TEAS RF applicants do not need to select an identification of goods and/or services from the Trademark ID Manual or satisfy the other TEAS Plus requirements noted above at the time of filing. An applicant who files a TEAS RF application but does not satisfy the relevant requirements will be required to submit an additional processing fee of $125 per class of goods or services.
TEAS Regular: The TEAS Regular filing option has a filing fee of $400 per class. TEAS Regular applicants are not required to comply with the additional requirements of TEAS Plus or TEAS RF, but are nonetheless encouraged to provide an e-mail address for USPTO correspondence and use TEAS to electronically file application-related submissions to the USPTO.
Which applications are eligible for TEAS RF?
- Trademark/Service Mark Application, Principal Register
- Trademark/Service Mark Application, Supplemental Register
- Certification Mark Application
- Collective Membership Mark Application
- Collective Trademark/Service Mark Application
- Transformation Requests
How do I file a TEAS RF application?
Use the initial application forms available at http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/teas/initial_app.jsp.
What application-related submissions must be filed via TEAS if I choose the TEAS Plus or TEAS RF filing option?
- Responses to Office actions (except notices of appeal)
- Requests to change the correspondence address or owner’s address
- Requests for reconsideration of final Office actions
- Amendments to allege use
- Voluntary amendments
- Statement of use
- Appointment or revocation of power of attorney
- Requests for extensions of time to file a statement of use
- Appointment or revocation of domestic representative
- Requests to delete a §1(b) basis in a multiple-basis application
What happens if I file a TEAS Plus or TEAS RF application but fail to satisfy all of the filing option’s requirements?
If you file a TEAS Plus or TEAS RF application but do not satisfy the relevant requirements you will be required to submit an additional processing fee of $125 per class of goods or services, and the application will then be handled as a TEAS Regular application. Thus, if you choose to add a class of goods or services via TEAS after losing TEAS Plus or TEAS RF status, you will be required to pay the TEAS Regular fee of $400 per class.
Note: Any fees that you pay after January 14, 2017, will be the fees in effect at that time regardless of your application filing date.
What if I have additional questions?
For help in resolving technical glitches with the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS), please e-mail TEAS@uspto.gov . Please include the following information: (1) your name, (2) telephone number, (3) serial number and/or registration number, (4) a description of your issue, including the name of the form you are having problems with (e.g., Response to Office Action Form, Request for Extension of Time to File a Statement of Use, etc.), and (5) a screen shot of any error message that you are receiving. You should receive a response within 2 hours if the e-mail is submitted during normal business hours.
For questions about fee reductions and filing options, please e-mail TMPolicy@uspto.gov.