Existing account holders: Visit the Office of Finance On-line Shopping Page for an easy and secure way to replenish your account, change authorized users, and view your current balance and monthly statements. See the Deposit Account Replenishment Options page for more ways to replenish your deposit account.
New account holders: Open a deposit account by completing the Deposit Account Application Form and mailing it, along with your initial deposit and the fee required to establish your account.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) offers an Unrestricted type of deposit account, which allows account holders to charge any fee or service offered by the USPTO directly to their accounts. This eliminates the need to send payment by check, credit card, or other payment type each time a fee is required. Account holders must maintain a minimum balance of $1,000 on the last business day of each month, or else the account will be assessed a $25 service charge for that month.
- Note: For existing Restricted type of deposit accounts, account holders must maintain a minimum balance of $300 on the last business day of each month, or else the account will be assessed a $25 service charge for that month. This account is no longer available to new account holders.
Please note that it is the responsibility of the account holder to ensure that there are sufficient funds in the account to cover all fees and services requested. The account holder must also keep the USPTO informed of all individuals or organizations that are authorized to make charges against the deposit account. For your security, only requests signed by persons on the authorized user list will be processed.
Coming Soon: Financial Manager
In early 2016, the USPTO will launch Financial Manager, a new online fee payment management tool. When Financial Manager goes live, setting up and managing deposit accounts will be done online only. We are also updating a few deposit account management processes to optimize functionality in Financial Manager:
- Your monthly deposit account statements will no longer be mailed; instead, you'll be able to access and download your monthly statements at any time in Financial Manager
- Once you've opened a new deposit account, you'll have 45 days to fund the account
- If your deposit account balance ever falls to $0, you'll have 45 days to replenish the account
- Deposit account authorization codes will no longer be used after deposit accounts are migrated into Financial Manager; deposit account access codes will continue on an interim basis and will be retired with a future release
- Deposit accounts that have had no activity for a period of one year can be easily reactivated with the click of a button
These updates will eliminate the need for the $10 fee that is currently charged to open a new deposit account. After the launch of Financial Manager, setting up a new deposit account will be free!
For additional information on how Financial Manager will impact deposit account management processes, check out the Deposit Account Management section of the Financial Manager FAQs page.
If you have any questions or require additional information about deposit accounts and replenishment options, please contact the Deposit Account Branch at (571) 272-6500.