After you file for a trademark: check status and correct errors

After you submit an online form, read this page for important information on:

Your duty to check application and registration status

After you submit an online form to the USPTO, it’s your responsibility to check the status of your application or registration in our database, Trademark Status and Document Retrieval (TSDR).

Check your status and view documents in TSDR

Through this database, you can see where you are in the application or post-registration process and you can review documents stored in your application or registration record. Learn more about when and how to check your status in TSDR. 

You can also set up your account to receive email notifications and other features to personalize your trademark docket. 

NOTE: Four to five business days after you submit a form, check the documents tab in TSDR. If your documents do not appear in TSDR, email

Unauthorized changes to your file

If you are notified about a change to your application or registration that you did not authorize, including a change to any email addresses, promptly report it to us by forwarding the original “alert” email message to with the following information:

  • Your name and your direct telephone number
  • The application serial number(s) and/or registration number(s) affected by the allegedly unauthorized change
  • The date and time of the alert message
  • A brief explanation of your relationship to the named applicant/registrant of record
  • Any other information you believe may be pertinent to your particular situation

Unauthorized changes have been made to a number of active trademark applications and registrations. These changes may be part of a scheme to register the marks of others on third-party “brand registries.” If you own a registration that you believe may have been impacted by an unauthorized change of correspondence filing, please report it to us at and consider contacting any third-party brand registry with which you, your company, or your client may have an ongoing relationship.

Learn more about potentially unauthorized correspondence changes to your application and registration.

Correcting filing errors

Not all filing errors are correctable—read this before you submit any forms to correct an error

Review your filing receipt carefully. If you find an error in your filing receipt immediately after submitting your form, contact the Trademark Assistance Center.

If your error is not correctable, you may need to file a new application. However, your filing fee will not be refunded. The filing fee is a fee for processing your application. 

Correcting filing errors using online forms

Request a proposed correction (amendment) through our TEAS Response forms. The form to use depends on the status of your application or registration as identified in TSDR.

NOTE: The following instructions apply only to errors that you made when submitting an online form. For errors made by the USPTO, visit the Contact Trademarks page for information on requesting corrections.

Click on one of the following four situations for instructions on correcting errors based on the status of your application or registration in TSDR.

Understanding which errors are correctable

After you submit your amendment, we will determine whether your error is correctable. See the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) for explanations and examples of acceptable corrections. For example:

Correcting errors in your Request for Extension of an International Registration

We don’t have the authority to make changes to data in an international registration. This means you must contact the International Bureau to correct most errors in your Request for Extension of Protection.

If you don’t know whether the error must be corrected through the USPTO or through the International Bureau, contact the Trademark Assistance Center.

Petitioning the director

In some cases, if your amendment is not accepted, you may have the option to file a Petition to Director to review the decision. See TMEP section 1700 for further information.