Providing high-quality, efficient examination of patent applications is paramount to our mission at USPTO. To ensure we continue to issue high-quality patents that will fuel innovation well into the future, the Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality, along with our partners across the Patents organization, promotes and supports the continuous improvement of patent products, processes and services through collaboration with internal and external stakeholders of the intellectual property community.
Patent Quality Chat
Tune into our February Patent Quality Chat on "eMod Updates".
See our new metrics approach, categorizing into product, process and perception indicators.
Stakeholder Training on Examination Practice and Procedure (STEPP)
Sign up for an upcoming training developed for those interested in a better understanding of the examination process at the USPTO.
Areas of Focus
Collaboration with our stakeholders has directed our focus within three areas, where we can best improve patent quality.
- Clarity and Correctness Data Capture (Master Review Form or MRF)
- Quality Metrics
- Topic Submission for Case Studies
Examiner Resources, Tools & Training
- Automated Pre-Examination Search Pilot - Providing relevant prior art through an automated pre-examination search to an examiner for review before the examiner begins examination and conducts a manual search in the application
- Clarity of the Record Training
- Interview Specialist
- Post Grant Outcomes
- Scientific and Technical Information Center (STIC) Awareness Campaign
Changes to Process/Product
- Clarity of the Record Pilot
- Design Patent Publication Quality - Improving the quality of images in published design patents
- Post-Prosecution Pilot (P3)
- Reevaluation of Quick Path Information Disclosure Statement (QPIDS) - Investigating improvements to the existing program, which provides for submission of an IDS after payment of the issue fee without an RCE, to make the process more efficient
To aid our goal of continuous patent quality improvement, we provide a collection of some patent quality resources to assist in our stakeholder’s understanding and ability to use our patent system.
To find archived information about enhancements to patent quality, visit our archive of past events and the completed Enhanced Patent Quality Initiative (EPQI).
We Want Your Feedback!
Robust interaction with you, our stakeholders, is crucial to continuous improvement to our patent system in a way that best assists you. Send us an email.