The Topic Submission for Case Studies Pilot Program was announced in a December 2015 Federal Register Notice. The pilot program accepted submissions through February 12, 2016.
- To view topics evaluated and selected, please see Selected Topics for Case Studies Pilot.
What Other Types of Case Study Suggestions Were Received?
- Public submissions suggested studying many areas of the patent process, including examination practice (e.g., 103, 112, 101, claim interpretation). The goals of the suggested studies included improving consistency of examination throughout the Patent Office, identifying correlations between examination practices and efficient prosecution, and expanding the USPTO’s use of data to reveal characteristics of robust work product and quality patents. To view topics submitted for patent quality case studies, please see Submissions.
How will these Case Studies be Used?
- To identify quality issues as well as examples of examination best practices;
- To improve patent work products and examination processes; and
- To reveal areas where further training may be needed.