Patents for Humanity is the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office’s awards competition recognizing innovators who use game-changing technology to meet global humanitarian challenges. Watch this year's award ceremony on YouTube.
Awards are given in five categories: Medicine, Sanitation, Nutrition, Energy, and Living Standards. View this year's award winners here.
The program provides business incentives for innovators to improve the lives of those in need: Winners receive an acceleration certificate to expedite select proceedings at the USPTO, as well as public recognition of their work. The awards showcase how patent holders with vision are pioneering innovative ways to provide affordable, scalable, and sustainable solutions for the less fortunate. Learn more about Patents for Humanity.
Watch the entire ceremony on YouTube, or use the links below to watch a specific award presentation.
- Remarks by U.S Senator Patrick Leahy of Vermont
- Remarks by U.S. Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa
- Remarks by U.S. Representative Martha Roby, Alabama’s Second Congressional District
- Remarks by Andrei Iancu, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the USPTO
- Remarks by Laura Peter, Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Deputy Director of the USPTO
- Remarks by Michael J. Oister, Chief Executive Officer of the National Inventors Hall of Fame
- Remarks by Dr. Sethuraman Panchanathan, Director of the National Science Foundation
- Remarks by Carol Dahl, PhD, Executive Director of The Lemelson Foundation
- Remarks by Shira Perlmutter, Chief Policy Officer and Director for International Affairs, USPTO
Presentation of Awards
- Sanaria Award Presentation
- Sisu Global Health Award Presentation
- Global Vision 2020 Award Presentation
- Nonspec Award Presentation
- NewGenerator Award Presentation
- Flexcrevator Award Presentation
For non-press inquiries and accessibility requests, please contact Kortney Hammonds at the USPTO’s Office of Policy and International Affairs.