U.S. Trademark Law: Rules of Practice & Federal Statutes
The information provided on this webpage and in this document is not the official legal publication of the Code of Federal Regulations (C.F.R.), United States Code (U.S.C.), or Congressional material. This information is an editorial compilation by the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) for the public’s convenience and is not meant to serve as an official source of primary legal material. As such, the material may not be complete or reflect the most current information. Those using this material for legal research should verify their results against the most current official edition of the C.F.R. and U.S. Code, published Public Law, and the daily Federal Register, available through the Government Publishing Office or a Federal Depository Library.
Prior compilations of the Trademark rules and statutes are available.
All attorneys and agents practicing before the USPTO in trademark or patent matters are subject to the USPTO Rules of Professional Conduct set forth in 37 C.F.R. §§ 11.101 et. seq. and disciplinary jurisdiction under 37 C.F.R. § 11.19(a). Additionally, unauthorized individuals who represent others before the USPTO are subject to the disciplinary jurisdiction of the USPTO. See 37 C.F.R. § 11.19(a).
Recent final rules
- Trademark Fee Adjustment 81123-81124 [2020-27564] [Electronic version] [PDF] (15Dec2020)
- Trademark Fee Adjustment 73197-73218 [2020-25222] [Electronic version] [PDF] (17Nov2020)
- Miscellaneous Changes to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board Rules of Practice; Clarification, 33804-33806 [2017-15346] [Electronic version] [PDF] (21July2017)
- Miscellaneous Changes to TTAB Rules of Practice; Correction, 89382–89383 [2016–29728] [Electronic version] [PDF] (12Dec2016)
- Final rule for miscellaneous changes to Trademark Trial and Appeal Board rules - effective Jan. 14, 2017, 69950–69988 [2016–23092] [Electronic version] [PDF] (07Oct2016)
Notices of proposed rulemaking and comments
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Changes to Implement Provisions of the Trademark Modernization Act, 26862-26888 [2021-10116] [Electronic version] [PDF] (18May2021)
- Notice of Proposed Rulemaking, Trademark Fee Adjustment, 37040–37057 [2020–13262] [Electronic version][PDF] (19Jun2020)