It takes skill to recognize ingenuity.
We lead the world in intellectual property protection and policy. We hire on the cutting edge of American innovation.
We recognize choosing your next job is one of the most important decisions you can make. We don’t take it lightly, and neither should you. Job selection can catapult your career in new and exciting ways. It can bring you the kind of job satisfaction that can only come with the right fit.
We’re not paper pushers and we’re not your typical government agency. We offer unparalleled work-life balance and unmatched career growth and opportunities to a global workforce of nearly 13,000 highly-skilled and motivated professionals including engineers, scientists, attorneys, strategists, and computer specialists – all dedicated to protecting U.S. intellectual property rights.
What matters most
- Consistently ranked as One of the Best Places to Work in the Federal Government®!
- Work-life balance
- You can work anywhere! We have an award-winning telework program and depending on your position, you may be able to work remotely all or some of the time.
- Highly competitive salaries, benefits packages, promotion potential, and job stability.
- Best flexible work schedules in the federal government.
- Culture of diversity, inclusion, community and fun -- featuring sports clubs, affinity groups, employee volunteer groups, mentorship and more.
- Comprehensive and professional training.
If you are a highly motivated self-starter looking to apply your unique skillsets to harness the power of innovation, search and apply for a position today.
To learn more about us, visit our benefits, student programs, veteran employment and disability hiring program websites.
Our telework program
We are pioneers in the telework industry, administering a robust work-at-home program for more than 18 years with more than 10,000 employees in patents and trademarks currently teleworking. Employees who telework report enhanced work/life balance, greater morale, increased flexibility, and a reduction in personal expenses including meals, clothing, and transportation.
We are considered a model for telework in the federal government and have secured numerous awards for our exemplary telework programs including those from the Metropolitan Washington Council of Governments, the Telework Exchange, the Alliance for Work-Life Progress, the Mid-Atlantic Telework Advisory Council, the Telework Coalition, and the Potomac Forum.
Programs like telework have an even greater impact beyond an employees’ experience – there are environment benefits as well:
The Mobile Work Exchange did a study on the collective environmental impact of telework on the DC metropolitan area:
- Over 10,000 employees are comprised of two groups that either work 1-3 days per week or 4-5 days per week. Collectively, they:
- Reduce emissions by 44,000 tons per year
- Save about $9 million in gas per year; and
- Avoid driving over 80 million miles per year
Read the 2015 USPTO Telework Annual Report for more information.
Our commitment to diversity
The USPTO’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity Program is among the best in the federal government. We see diversity as instrumental to the high quality and efficient examination of patent and trademark applications. Here are a few reasons the USPTO stands out in the diversity realm:
- We include collaborative relationships with the agency's affinity groups in our strategic plan, as a way to support our diverse workforce.
- We host a wide network of voluntary employee organizations, which provide employees with various peer-support networks. These groups host cultural, social, and career-development events and programs for their members and the greater USPTO community.
- We host an annual Community Day attended by thousands of employees and their family and friends. Filled with fun activities, cultural awareness, and informative presentations, the day showcases the talent and diversity of our workforce. All agency leadership attend and interact with employees throughout the event.