Women's Entrepreneurship (WE) video playlist
Our Women's Entrepreneurship (WE) initiative is a community-based program that lifts women up and taps their potential to increase equity, job creation, and economic prosperity through their ideas, insights, and innovations. This playlist features advice from successful women business owners, funders, and strategists to help aspiring women entrepreneurs in their journeys.
Filter the playlist below to watch videos focused on helping women identify and protect their IP, explore options to fund their ideas, and expand their network of mentors and advisors.
Interested in filming a video? Email WE@uspto.gov.
- Published onFeaturing advice and resources, the WE Initiative aims to lift women up and taps their potential to increase equity, job creation, and economic prosperity through their ideas, insights and innovations.
Protect your business
- Published onWhy does Cyndi Bray think IP protections are important to business success? “It was important to build an intellectual property wall to fend off copycats-a wall I built even before my product went to market and I continue to shore up as my best defense.”
- Published onGovernment programs like the USPTO’s Patent Pro Bono program can help you develop your intellectual property (IP) strategy. Hear from Joanna Smith-Griffin, CEO of AllHere, to learn why she thinks IP is vital to growing a business.
- Published onYou don’t have to wait for your brand to become a success to protect it. In fact, applying for federal trademark registration as soon as possible can help you avoid costly rebrands and establish a trusted customer base faster.
- Published on
Watch this short video with Lisa Jorgenson, Deputy Director General of the World Intellectual Property Organization, for tips on how to protect your IP globally.
- Published onProtecting your IP is key to starting and maintaining a successful business. Hear from the Honorable Kate O’Malley, retired judge for the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Published onFinding out what kind of intellectual property you have is an important step in protecting your business idea. Hear about how IP protection can help set you up for success.
Expand your network
- Published onWomen entrepreneurs: we know there’s a lot to think about when you’re first starting your business. Which is why we’re bringing you advice straight from the experts – the people who have already done it successfully.
- Published onLearn more about opportunities for women entrepreneurs to find grants to local communities, business incubators, and leverage government resources with Alejandra Castillo, Assistant Secretary at the Economic Development Administration.
- Published onBuilding a network of support can be just as important as protecting your intellectual property and finding funding when starting a business. Other women have been where you are today, and connecting with others can help guide you through the process.
- Published on
Watch the video for tips on networking from businesswoman and author Shellye Archambeau, former CEO of MetricStream and current Fortune 500 board member.
- Published on
Whether you’re a woman entrepreneur just starting out on your journey, or you’ve hit a roadblock and need some advice, others have been where you are today. Building a strong network can help guide you through the process.
- Published onHear from the Innovation Outreach team on how connecting with other women can help guide you through the process of protecting your intellectual property and launching your business.
Fund your startup
- Published onSeveral federal agencies offer tools for startups to help secure funding. Hear from Suzanne Borders, CEO and co-founder of BadVR, about her experience with America’s Seed Fund, just one of the great programs available to women entrepreneurs.
- Published onSecuring funding is an important step to protecting and growing your business. Hear from Secretary of Commerce Gina Raimondo about several federal agencies that offer tools for startups.
- Published onDirector Kathi Vidal was a special guest for the Tory Burch Foundation’s Small Business webinar series, where she spoke about the significance of protecting intellectual property to help businesses succeed in a competitive marketplace.
- Published onHave you ever wanted to bounce your ideas off of someone? Hear from experts who provide tips on what to look for, finding and successfully engaging with a mentor, and the benefits of mentorship when starting, growing, or expanding your business.
- Published onThe event in Phoenix, Arizona kicked off with a fireside chat between Director Kathi Vidal and Sally Morton, was followed by a panel of experts sharing stories and tips on how to secure options for funding a small business.
- Published onAt this WE event held January 18, 2023 in Naples, Florida, leaders in the IP community and women entrepreneurs shared their stories and tips on why protecting your IP is key to starting and maintaining a successful business.
- Published onHear from leading women at the launch of WE, a community-focused, collaborative, and creative initiative to inspire women and tap their potential to meaningfully increase equity, job creation, and economic prosperity.