USPTO.gov account activation
The USPTO is currently investigating technical difficulties reported by customers related to logging into USPTO.gov accounts. Users have reported being unable to activate or sign in with newly activated accounts. We are working to investigate and resolve these issues.
Issue affecting second factor authentication
During our system maintenance on Saturday, March 6, we discovered an issue affecting your second factor authentication. If you are using an authentication application to receive your two-factor authentication PIN, you need to enable and set up your application prior to signing in. You will not see the authentication application as a selection option until you complete the reconfiguration. If you have already been locked out, please wait 20 minutes for your account to unlock automatically before following the instructions below.
Steps to enable and set up your code generator (authentication application):
- Locate your authentication application on your mobile device.
- If your authentication application already has your USPTO.gov account email listed, you will need to delete the email account from your authentication application before enabling and setting up the account (if you don’t remove it, you will have PINs being generated on both accounts).
- Log in to MyUSPTO by entering your user ID and password.
- During two-step authentication, select to receive the code through another method: “Email” or “Mobile Device.”
- Enter the two-factor authentication PIN into the “authentication code” box to complete sign in.
- Select your user name in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Select “Account” from the drop down options.
- On the “Two-step authentication” section of the account page, find the section labeled “Code generator (Authenticator app.)” and click the “Enable and set up” button.
- Follow the configuration instructions to complete the configuration process.
- Select save button
Once you have completed the enable/set up process, your authentication application should work as expected. If you need additional assistance, dial 1-800-786-9199 (toll-free) and choose option 3, then option 4, for MyUSPTO.
Posted at 07:46AM Mar 18, 2021 in Current Status |