The Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) conducts trials, including inter partes, post-grant, and covered business method patent reviews and derivation proceedings, hears appeals from adverse examiner decisions in patent applications and reexamination proceedings, and renders decisions in interferences.
You are welcome to view live PTAB proceedings taking place at the Silicon Valley USPTO. See the link below for upcoming hearings. Silicon Valley USPTO office hours are 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. PT Monday-Friday. If there is a hearing that you are interested in attending scheduled outside of our working hours, first check availability with the Silicon Valley Office via email: SiliconValley@uspto.gov.
Hearing Room Protocol/Decorum
The dignity of the Hearing Room is to be respected and maintained at all times.
- Attire for counsel and spectators should be restrained and appropriate to the dignity of a courtroom. For example, the following are unacceptable: jeans, sweat pants, shorts, sundresses, t-shirts, flip-flops, and sandals. Noncompliance with these requirements may be cause for denial of entry into the hearing room.
- When a hearing is in session, no one should be heard except for counsel making argument or a judge.
- No personal recording devices of any kind (audio or visual) will be permitted in the hearing room.
- All cell phones or pagers must be turned off.
- No food or drink is permitted in the public gallery of the hearing room.
- Repeated entrances to or departures from the hearing room are to be avoided.
- Improper hearing room behavior may result in removal from the hearing room or other sanctions.
This event is accessible to individuals with disabilities. To request a reasonable accommodation, including captioning, sign language interpreting, or other, please email email@example.com or call (408)918-9900.