Attend the Copyright Legal Forum to learn about the current state of the U.S. Copyright Office and hot topics in copyright law. RSVP early with the password "copyright". Tickets are complimentary, with a requested $10 donation at the door. Cancelations will be accepted up to three days prior to the event.
Acting Register of Copyrights and Director of the U.S. Copyright Office Karyn A. Temple will give a presentation, and an expert panel and presentations will follow. Presentation by David Carson, Senior Copyright Attorney, Office of Policy and International Affairs, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office. Panelists include Associate Register of Copyrights and Director of Public Information and Education Catie Rowland (moderator), University of Detroit Mercy Law School Professor Howard Abrams, ProQuest's Janet Driver, Stephen Burch of Carlson Gaskey & Olds, and Emily Tait of Jones Day.
The discussion will cover:
- Practice in front of the Copyright Office, including registration refusal rebuttals, software issues and protection thereof
- DMCA rulemaking and effects on vehicle repairs
- International issues, including EU Article 11 modifications, WIPO considerations, the US-Mexico-Canada Agreement, and Marrakesh Treaty Ratification & Implementation
- AI and copyright
- ISP safe harbors
- Developing the digital marketplace.
A cocktail reception will follow the program.
The Michigan Intellectual Property Inn of Court, Michigan Intellectual Property Law Association, Intellectual Property Legal Studies, and the State Bar of Michigan IP Section are hosting this event.
Welcome and Opening Remarks
· Damian Porcari, Regional Director, Midwest Regional USPTO
Keynote by the Acting Register of Copyrights
· Karyn A. Temple, Associate Register of Copyrights and Director, U.S. Copyright Office
Copyright at the USPTO
· David Carson, Senior Copyright Counsel, USPTO
Legal trends in copyright law panel
· Moderator: Catie Rowland, Associate Register of Copyrights and Director of Public Information and Education, U.S. Copyright Office
· Howard Abrams, Professor, UD Mercy
· Stephen Burch, Carlson Gaskey & Olds
· Janet Driver, ProQuest
· Emily Tait, Jones Day
· IP Legal Community