Each year, in collaboration with sponsors and supporting organizations, the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) holds a celebration of World Intellectual Property Day on Capitol Hill. The theme of World IP Day 2019 is "Reach for the Gold: IP and Sports.” Register now.
Game-changing technological advances in robotics and artificial intelligence are fueling change in all sports fields. These types of innovation and creativity, along with IP rights, are driving the development of sport and its enjoyment around the world.
Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Deputy Director of the USPTO
Dr. Phil Wagner
Founder and CEO of Sparta Science
Watch the recent Today Show segment on Sparta Science's force plate technology, which helps predict injury risks for athletes.
Deputy Director General, Patents and Technology Sector, World Intellectual Property Organization
Additional speakers will include members of Congress.
The event is coordinated by the USPTO, and many thanks to the sponsors and supporting organizations:
- World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- U.S. Chamber of Commerce Global IP Center (GIPC)
- International Trademark Association (INTA)
- The American Bar Association's Section on Intellectual Property Law (ABA-IPL), and the
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
Presentations will be from 4:00 p.m. to 5:15 p.m. and a reception will follow, sponsored by WIPO, AIPLA, INTA, US Chamber GIPC, ABA-IPL, and IPO.
4:00 – 4:05 PM: Welcome and introductions
4:05 – 4:15 PM: Opening remarks – Deputy Director Laura Peter
4:15 – 4:45 PM: Keynote Remarks – Dr. Phil Wagner
4:45 – 5:00 PM: Question and answer session
5:00 – 5:30 PM: Special Remarks by:
- John Sandage, Deputy Director, World Intellectual Property Organization
- Members of Congress
5:30 PM: Closing remarks and announcement of reception and exhibition – Lisa Jorgenson, Director, American Intellectual Property Association
- Nike, Inc.
- National Basketball Association (NBA)
- Entertainment Software Association (ESA)
- Sparta Science
This event is accessible to individuals with disabilities. To inquire about or request accommodations, please contact Susan.Hoffman2@uspto.gov.