Join us virtually for an afternoon of lively and thought-provoking discussion covering various aspects of design patents. Get insights from United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) design examiners and managers, design patent practitioners, and industrial designers.
The event will feature:
- A welcome from Kathi Vidal, Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Director of the USPTO
- An update from Karen Young, Director of Technology Center 2900
- Information on international developments from the Office of Policy and International Affairs (OPIA)
- A panel discussion on the impact of China joining the Hague
- Views on design protection from corporate counsel at Caterpillar
- Tips from a Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) Administrative Patent Judge
- Case law summaries of the most important design patent decisions over the past year from the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit, district courts, and PTAB
New this year
We will be holding two additional optional sessions before and after the main event. To attend these sessions, please select the respective checkbox(es) during the registration.
- 11 am to noon ET: Introduction to Design Law: The basics of design patents, trade dress, and copyrights
- 4:30–5:30 p.m. ET: Networking opportunity session
Continuing legal education (CLE) credit is not offered for attending this event.
USPTO employees needing more information about attending this event should email DesignDay@uspto.gov.
Design Day is co-sponsored by the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA), the Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO), and the USPTO.