If you are a patent attorney or agent, it helps to think like a patent examiner. Get a better understanding of how examiners make decisions at the Stakeholder Training on Examination Practice and Procedure (STEPP) agent/attorney virtual four-day course.
Registration opens Monday, November 7, 2022 through Monday, April 3, 2023 (or until registration is full).
Course acceptance will be sent to eligible candidates, based on the following:
- Active USPTO registration number
- Available space
This course will be led by USPTO trainers and will be based on the same training material developed for new USPTO examiners. It will focus on how examiners review patent applications according to the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP).
Those accepted to attend are expected to complete pre-activity homework. These include several computer-based training (CBT) modules and reading of resource materials. Similar to the training of new USPTO examiners, a sample application will be provided as the focus of exercises during each module. The training has four separate modules that build upon each other:
- Day 1 focuses on the role of examiners and the steps they take when reading an application for the first time.
- Day 2 uses the information gathered during Day 1 to plan and conduct a search, and emphasizes statutes 35 U.S.C. §§ 101 and 112.
- Day 3 builds on Day 2 in mapping prior art claims using 35 U.S.C. §§ 102 and 103.
- Day 4 finishes the mapping art claim discussion and focuses on writing an examiner’s office action.
For a detailed schedule, please view the Agent/attorney four-day course general schedule.
Those with a disability requiring a reasonable accommodation may contact the Office of Equal Employment Opportunity and Diversity (OEEOD) at email@example.com or 571-272-8292.