If you are a patent attorney or agent, it helps to think like a patent examiner. Get a better understanding of how examiners make decisions at the Stakeholder Training on Examination Practice and Procedure (STEPP) agent/attorney virtual four-day course, February 7-10, 2023.
Registration will be open Tuesday, November 15, 2022 through Monday, January 23, 2023 (or until registration is full).
Course acceptance will be sent to eligible candidates, based on the following:
- Active U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) registration number
- Available space
This course will be led by USPTO trainers and will be based on the same training material developed for new USPTO examiners. It will focus on how examiners review patent applications according to the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP).
Those accepted to attend are expected to complete pre-activity homework. These include several computer-based training (CBT) modules and reading of resource materials. Similar to the training of new USPTO examiners, a sample application will be provided as the focus of exercises during each module. The training has four separate modules that build upon each other:
- Day one focuses on the role of examiners and the steps they take when reading an application for the first time.
- Day two uses the information gathered during day one to plan and conduct a search, and emphasizes statutes 35 U.S.C. §§ 101 and 112.
- Day three builds on day two in mapping prior art claims using 35 U.S.C. §§ 102 and 103.
- Day four finishes the mapping art claim discussion and focuses on writing an examiner’s office action.
For a detailed schedule, please view the Agent/attorney four-day course general schedule.
If you are an individual with a disability and would like to request a reasonable accommodation, please submit your request to the contact information listed above.