Examination guides issued after the publication of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) (July 2022), or any issued before publication but not incorporated into the TMEP, are listed below. Generally, examination guides issued before publication of the July 2022 TMEP have been incorporated into the TMEP.
- Examination 3-23 Procedures for Reviewing Domicile Addresses
- Exam Guide 2-23 Electronic Trademark Submissions Signed Using Document-signing Software and Compliance with 37 C.F.R. section 2.193
- Exam Guide 1-23 Examination for Compliance with Section 2(c) while Constitutionality of Section 2(c) as Applied to Marks that are Critical of Government Officials or Public Figures Remains in Question
- Exam Guide 2-22 Change in Office Action Response Periods for Section 1 and/or Section 44 Application
- Exam Guide 1-22 Clarification of Examination Evidentiary Standard for Marks Refused as GenericExam Guide 1-19 Examination of Marks for Cannabis and Cannabis-Related Goods and Services after Enactment of the 2018 Farm Bill
- Exam Guide 1-11 (Section 2(a) Deceptiveness for Class 5 Goods)
Your input on draft exam guides
You may provide input on draft versions of examination guides before they are finalized by commenting on the Trademark Policy Collaboration Site on the IdeaScale website. When a draft is available for comment, we will post it below and send a Trademark Alert email. Subscribe to alert emails here.