This page was updated on 4/18/23.
Please note that the information on this webpage will continue to be updated, as additional information becomes available.
The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) is issuing electronic patent grants (eGrants) for all patents with an issue date on or after April 18, 2023. eGrants are available through Patent Center, the USPTO's electronic patent application filing and management system, which includes patent document viewing.
Patent grants will no longer be issued on paper, and as a result, they will no longer be mailed to the correspondence address of record as part of the patent issuance process. Instead, the patentee will be able to view and print the complete issued patent from Patent Center immediately upon issue. During a transition period, the USPTO will provide a paper copy of the electronic patent grant as a ceremonial copy, delivered to the patentee’s correspondence address of record. The electronic patent grant is the official statutory patent grant.
- Utilize the Portable Document Format (PDF)
- Mirror the appearance of the currently produced bound patent grants
- Use an encrypted certification/validation technology
Benefits of electronic grants
- Provides electronic grants to patentee and public as a certified PDF on the day of issue
- Streamlines the patent grant process, minimizes paper waste, and provides the opportunity to reduce pendency
- Minimizes printing and mailing, potentially reducing patent pendency
- Increases printing flexibility and choice for patentee and public
- To fully view and see validation information for the eGrant example, please (1) open example of eGrant, (2) download the file to your computer, and (3) open with a PDF-viewing application.
- eGrants Overview video (added on 4/18/23)
- User guide (updated 4/18/23)
- Frequently asked questions (updated 4/18/23)
- Federal Register Notice
- Press Release
- USPTO Certified Copy Center
If you have questions or would like to provide feedback, please email eGrants@uspto.gov
For technical issues or troubleshooting with accessing eGrants, please contact the Patent Electronic Business Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-217-9197, Monday - Friday, 6 a.m. - midnight ET.