The USPTO is seeking public input and guidance in determining how to best direct its resources towards improving the Patent Organization's role in the patent system by partnering with the public in receiving written comments on the Request for Comment on Building a World-Class Patent Quality System, Fed. Reg. ____ The USPTO is particularly interested in receiving public comments from its stakeholders to assist in (1) identifying which aspects of the patent process, Patent Organization customer service, and engagement of patent stakeholders that could be improved, and (2) suggesting changes to the Patent Organization processes that will result in the desired improvement. For details see Request for Comments on Building a World-Class Patent Quality System, Fed. Reg._____________
In addition to seeking comments, the USPTO has scheduled a series of road shows inviting the public to join in a discussion of the overall scope and direction of a long-term plan to improve patent quality at the USPTO. Each road show will feature an interactive discussion on (1) providing the best patents work products and services possible, (2) improving the customer experience (3) increasing outreach to, and education of, the public on the Patent Quality, and (4) improving the USPTO's patent quality review processes. Further details on the road shows will be posted as they become available.
How to Participate:
- Any member of the public may submit written comments on the Request for Comments on Building a World-Class Patent Quality System, Fed, Reg._______________
- Practitioners may participate in the road shows that are currently scheduled at the following locations:
- October 15, 2014 - New York School of Law, 185 W. Broadway, New York, New York, 10013;
- October 21, 2014 - Byron Rogers Federal Office Building, Longs Peak Conference Room
1961 Stout Street, Denver, Colorado 80294 ;
- October 28, 2014 - Harold Washington Library Center , Cindy Pritzker Auditorium
400 S. State Street Chicago, Illinois 60605;
- October 30, 2014 - Belo Mansion , 2101 Ross Avenue, Dallas, Texas, 75201;
- November 4, 2014 - University of Santa Clara, Locatelli Center, Building 710
500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara, California 95053;
- November 13, 2014 -USPTO, Madison Auditorium. 600 Dulany Street, Alexandria, Virginia 22313.
How to Submit Comments:
Comments should be sent by electronic mail message over the Internet addressed to: WorldClassPatentQualitySystem@uspto.gov (hyperlink: ______________). Comments may also be submitted by postal mail addressed to: Mail Stop Comments-- Patents, Commissioner for Patents, P.O. Box 1450, Alexandria, VA, 22313-1450, Attention: Michael Cygan, Senior Legal Advisor, Office of Patent Legal Administration, Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Patent Examination Policy. Although comments may be submitted by mail, the Office prefers to receive comments via the Internet. Comments will be accepted until December 7, 2014.
The comments will be available for public inspection at the Office of the Commissioner for Patents, located in Madison East, Tenth Floor, 600 Dulany Street, Alexandria, Virginia, and will be available via the USPTO Internet Web site. Because comments will be available for public inspection, information that is not desired to be made public, such as an address or phone number should not be included in the comments.