The Receipts Accounting Division serves as the central coordinator for fees processed throughout the USPTO, and is responsible for the following:
- Reconciling and depositing of fees to the appropriate financial institutions;
- Administering and monitoring USPTO deposit accounts;
- Processing patent maintenance fee-related payments and requests;
- Coordinating, processing, and monitoring of customer refund requests; and
- Responding to a wide variety of customer inquiries.
Matthew Lee is the director of the Receipts Accounting Division.
To accomplish these activities, the Receipts Accounting Division is divided into three branches. For additional information, read more about the following Receipts Accounting Division Branches:
The Deposit Account Branch is responsible for the administration and maintenance of customer pre-paid deposit accounts.
The Maintenance Fee Branch processes patent maintenance fee payments and fee address requests, updates the entity status for issued patents, and responds to inquiries regarding post-issuance status.
The Refund Branch functions as the receiving office for most refund requests.