Spend the day with design patent examiners, managers, practitioners and industrial designers from across the country at this exciting seminar. Join us for a lively and thought-provoking discussion about all aspects of design patents, from conception through enforcement. Registration is now open.
- Meeting the new director of Tech Center 2900
- Developments at the USPTO including updates on ID5 and the Design Law Treaty initiatives
- Demonstration of the 3D image filing system used by the Korean Intellectual Property Office
- Return of the popular Patent Prosecution Best Practices Panel where experienced practitioners and USPTO examiners discuss recent examination and prosecution trends
- Tag team presentation from an industrial designer and in-house counsel about strategic protection of designs
- Distinguished panel discussing evolving design IP in the context of fashion trends
- Mock argument illustrating some implications of prosecution on claim interpretation and enforcement after a patent issues
- Popular case law wrap-up summarizing important design patent decisions over the past year, including Apple v. Samsung and recent design patent decisions from the PTAB.
In preparation for our panel on best practice tips and pitfalls, please email your own personal tips for success or prosecution processes that you’d like to see improved to Beth Ferrill.
8:30 - 9:00 AM MT Registration
9:00 - 9:30 AM MT Early Motions to Dismiss Conceptual Designs
9:30 - 10:15 AM MT Patent Prosecution Best Practices Panel: Views from Examiners and Practitioners
10:15 - 10:40 AM MT State of the Technology Center
10:40 - 11:10 AM MT Remarks by Comm. Mary Boney Denison, USPTO Commissioner for Trademarks
11:10 - 11:15 AM MT Break
11:15 - 12:00 AM MT Keynote Speakers: Matthew Zacherle, Lead Designer & Tom Boshinski, Senior
12:00 - 12:45 PM MT Evolving Design IP vs. Evolving Fashion Trends: Stitching It All Together
12:45 - 2:00 PM MT Lunch Break and Presentation
Mock Argument: How Prosecution Affects Claim Interpretation and Enforcement of Design Rights
2:00 - 2:50 PM MT Report from the Front Line
2:50 - 3:00 PM MT Concluding Remarks from USPTO HQ
3:00 - 3:30 PM MT Update on ID5 (video replay)
In your registration, please be sure to indicate that you will be attending the program at the Rocky Mountain Regional Office in Denver, CO.
There is no fee to attend; however, we ask that you register in advance.