How PTRCs Can Help...
Patenting an invention and trademarking a product name can be challenging. PTRC library staff are information experts trained on how to use search tools to access patent and trademark information. They provide the human touch that no web page or legal book can provide in helping inventors and small businesses find the information they need to protect their intellectual property. However, PTRC representatives are not attorneys and cannot provide legal advice.
PTRC library staff can assist with the following:
- Provide access to resources such as PubEAST and PubWEST, examiner-based search systems
- Direct you to information and explain the application process and fee schedule
- Demonstrate how to use search tools to conduct a patent or trademark search
- Show you a directory of local patent attorneys who are licensed to practice before the USPTO
- Offer classes on intellectual property (varies by location)
- Offer assistance on how to do historical research patents and trademarks
- Show you how to track current research by company or nonprofit
- Help you find assignee information and much more