Trademark Examination Guides
Examination guides issued subsequent to the publication of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) (April 2013), or any issued prior to publication but not incorporated into the TMEP, are listed below. Generally, examination guides issued prior to the publication of the TMEP April 2013 have been incorporated into the TMEP.
- Examination Guide 3-14 (Service Mark Specimen) (Sept. 2014) [Word]
- Examination Guide 2-14 (Geographic Certification Marks) (June 2014) [Word]
- Exam Guide 1-11 (Section 2(a) Deceptiveness for Class 5 Goods) (May 2011) [Word]
Trademark User Input
Continuing our recent initiative in response to feedback from practitioners and other stakeholders expressing a desire to provide constructive input on examination guides before they are finalized, the below draft versions of examination guides are now available for comments. If you have not used the IdeaScale® website previously, you must choose the “Register Now” option, which will ask you to provide your email address, solve a basic math problem (for spam bot prevention), and agree to the terms of service. Shortly after you complete the registration page, you will receive an email verifying your account and allowing you to create a password. Once you have created a password, you will be able to access the website.
- Share Comments/Suggestions on Draft of Examination Guide: gTLDs (Comment Period Ends October 23, 2013)
- Share Comments/Suggestions on Draft of Examination Guide: Geographic Certification Marks (Comment Period Extended until August 15, 2013) [Word] (08Jul2013)