Office of Financial Management Systems
The Office of Financial Management Systems (OFMS) provides maintenance and support for the USPTO’s core financial system. This system is fully compliant with the U.S. Standard General Ledger. It also maintains subsidiary ledgers to facilitate the timely and accurate reporting of capital assets, accounts payable, and revenues and other fees.
Our goal is to provide our customers with the highest level of quality and service in all aspects of operations. To help achieve this goal, OFMS supports, maintains, and manages the USPTO's financial management information systems, including the Revenue Accounting and Management system.
Gita Zoks is the director of the Office of Financial Management Systems.
The Office of Financial Management Systems is composed of the following divisions:
Program Management Division
The Program Management Division (PMD) provides IT strategic planning and project management services related to USPTO financial management systems. Our goal is to optimize the efficiency and effectiveness of financial management processes and make relevant information available for analysis and decision making by recommending and implementing enabling technologies.
PMD performs several of the enabling functions of a traditional Program Management Office (PMO):
- PMD partners with OCIO and follows USPTO policies and procedures surrounding IT strategic planning and project management. Standard project management practices and artifacts, a database of project lessons learned, a database of risks, and project manager training plans are some of the benefits of this partnership.
- PMD is an information center, reporting project progress and linking projects to organizational strategy.
- PMD is a portfolio management center, managing resources and dependencies across multiple projects. Strategic planning, including budget formulation, takes into account the overall portfolio to ensure organization goals are met.
PMD also performs the actual management of projects:
- PMD executes projects by managing scope, time, cost, quality, human resources, communications, risks, and procurements.
- PMD follows the project lifecycle: initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing the project.
- PMD follows the system development lifecycle: concept, definition, design, development, testing, and deployment.
PMD is also responsible for maintaining the OCFO sites on the USPTO Internet and Intranet, performing Contracting Officer Representative duties for all OFMS contracts, and preparing and executing the OFMS operation and maintenance budget, as well as project budgets.
Carol Stout is the director of the Program Management Division.
Financial Systems Operations Division
The Financial Systems Operation Division (FSOD) provides maintenance and support for the following financial systems: Revenue Accounting and Management System (RAM), Office of Finance Imaging System (OFIS), Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW), and the Transportation Subsidy System (TSS). FSOD also maintains and operates the Program, Project, and Activity (PPA) Search Tool and the Enterprise Reporting Portal.
Revenue Accounting and Management System (RAM):
- The RAM System has grown to process nearly 20,000 transactions per-day, tracks approximately $2 billion in annual revenue, and is used by approximately 700 PTO users. RAM has over 70 interfaces as well as an external payment server which is the public interface to the RAM System that operates as a storefront to allow customers to directly order and pay for specific USPTO goods and services using the Internet.
Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW):
- The EDW supports over 700 internal users throughout the USPTO. It provides access to data from a number of USPTO systems, and includes information from financial and non-financial systems currently in production as well as historical information from retired systems. EDW data is organized into three main subject areas: the Financial subject area (FSA), the Human Resources subject area (HRSA), and the Patent subject area (PSA).
Transit Subsidy System (TSS):
- TSS is a web-based application for USPTO employees to submit requests for transit subsidy via the Intranet and a database to store transit subsidy history for inventory, reporting, and audit purposes.
Ana Medina is the director of the Financial Systems Operations Division.
Core Financial Systems Operations Division
The Core Financial Systems Operations Division provides outstanding operations and maintenance support for the USPTO's internal and external customers of the Consolidated Financial System (CFS). The CFS is comprised of Momentum Financials (financial system of record), FedTraveler.com, Activity Based Information System, and Corporate Planning Tool. The Core Financial Systems Operations Division also supports other components of the CFS, including Momentum integrations with the Central Contractor Registration, FedTraveler.com, FedBizOpps, Federal Procurement Data System – Next Generation, the Financial Management Service and the National Finance Center.
The Core Financial Systems Operations Division has primary responsibility for the following functions:
- Overseeing the OCFO’s IT Customer Service Center that provides support to over 450 financial system users across the USPTO
- Providing application training for the CFS users
- Providing system administration support for the CFS applications
- Providing monthly, quarterly, and annual close support for the Office of Finance
- Providing subject matter expertise, SDLC documentation reviews, and testing during financial system upgrades
- Managing minor financial system upgrades and maintenance implementations
- Providing coordination with the OCIO and technical support for hardware and software issues surrounding the CFS applications
- Managing all application security related processes, such as adding and deleting users, updating application security profiles, and revalidation of users
- Participating as the lead for the IT section of the annually occurring Financial Statement audits
- Participating with the OCIO in Certification and Accreditation activities with regard to the CFS.
Greg Eslinger is the director of the Core Financial Systems Operations Division.