Source Materials for the Registration Examination
The source materials for the questions and answers on the current registration examination are:
1. Manual of Patent Examining Procedure (MPEP), Edition 8, Revision 8 (available at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/mpep/mpep.htm);
2. Examination Guidelines Update: Developments in the Obviousness Inquiry After KSR v. Teleflex (available at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-21646.pdf);
3. New Interim Patent Subject Matter Eligibility Examination Instructions, August 2009 (available at http://www.uspto.gov/web/offices/pac/dapp/opla/2009-08-25_interim_101_instructions.pdf);
4. Interim Guidance for Determining Subject Matter Eligibility for Process Claims in View of Bilski v. Kappos (available at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2010/pdf/2010-18424.pdf);
5. Interim Guidance for Determining Subject Matter Eligibility for Process Claims in View of Bilski v. Kappos, July 2010 (available at http://www.uspto.gov/patents/law/exam/bilski_guidance_27jul2010.pdf); and
6. Supplementary Examination Guidelines for Determining Compliance with 35 U.S.C. § 112 and for Treatment of Related Issues in Patent Applications (available at http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2011/pdf/2011-2841.pdf).
For the updated registration examination beginning on or about January 31, 2012, the source materials for the questions and answers will be the sources identified above and:
7. Changes To Implement the Prioritized Examination Track (Track I) of the Enhanced Examination Timing Control Procedures Under the Leahy- Smith America Invents Act (September 23, 2011) (available at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-09-23/pdf/2011-24467.pdf).
8. Revision of Standard for Granting an Inter Partes Reexamination Request (September 23, 2011) (available at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-09-23/pdf/2011-24464.pdf).
9. Rules of Practice before the Board of Patent Appeals and Interferences in Ex Parte Appeals (November 22, 2011) (available at http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2011-11-22/pdf/2011-29446.pdf).