April 17, 2012
Richard Maulsby or Paul Fucito
(571) 272-8400 or firstname.lastname@example.org;
Press Release, 12-27
USPTO to Hold Florida Regional Inventors Conference in Tampa, April 27-28
Government Officials, Successful Entrepreneurs and Legal Experts Available to Assist Inventors
Washington, D.C. – The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) will hold its annual Regional Independent Inventors Conference on April 27-28, 2012, in Tampa, Fla. at the Embassy Suites located on the campus of the University of South Florida. Co-sponsored by Invent Now® and the National Academy of Inventors™, the conference is one of many outreach programs offered by the USPTO to assist independent inventors.
Teresa Stanek Rea, Deputy Under Secretary of Commerce for Intellectual Property and Deputy Director of the USPTO, will deliver the featured keynote speech of the conference. “The creative work of innovators helps drive our economy,” said Rea. “We know that intellectual property-intensive industries support at least 40 million jobs and contribute more than $5 trillion to the U.S. gross domestic product, and we want to reach out to and support the people who make that growth possible.” Rea will speak at Friday’s conference luncheon.
The conference will feature practical advice and information for novice and seasoned inventors provided by numerous experts and employees of the USPTO. Topics will include patent and trademark searching, claim drafting, and the ongoing implementation of the America Invents Act. Specialists will conduct workshops and be available for one-on-one conversations.
Additional speakers and presenters at this year’s conference include:
- Drew Hirshfeld, Deputy Commissioner for Patent Examination Policy, USPTO
- Kevin Harrington, Chairman and Founder of TVGoods, Inc. and Chairman of As Seen On TV, Inc.
- Mark Reyland, Executive Director of the United Inventors Association of America
- Pamela Riddle Bird, CEO of Innovative Product Technologies
- Wayne Brass, Small Business Development Center Certified Business Technology Consultant
- Sandra Campbell, Director, Tampa Bay Export Assistance Center
- Mark Jensen, 2010 Collegiate Inventors Competition winner
Space is limited and registration is on a first-come, first-served basis. To register, visit http://www.uspto.gov/inventors/independent/aiic_main.jsp.
For more information, please contact Matthew Palumbo at (571) 272-7517 or Matthew.Palumbo@uspto.gov.
Stay current with the USPTO by subscribing to receive email updates at our Subscription Center at www.uspto.gov/subscribe.