Mandatory electronic filing

A change in federal trademark regulations will make electronic filing mandatory for trademark applicants and registrants.

Read more about how mandatory electronic filing will affect you.

How do I file a Trademark Application?


Is there a form for filing my application?

Yes. Use the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) available at to file your application on the Internet. Features of electronic filing include:

  • Online help: Hyperlinks provide help sections for each of the application fields.
  • Validation function: Helps avoid the possible omission of important information.
  • Immediate reply: The USPTO immediately issues an initial filing receipt via email containing the assigned application serial number and a summary of the submission.
  • 24-hour availability: TEAS is generally available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week (except 11 p.m. Saturday to 6 a.m. Sunday), so your application can receive a filing date until midnight EST.

If you do not have internet access, you can access TEAS at any Patent and Trademark Resource Center (PTRC) throughout the United States. Many public libraries also provide internet access.


Are there other ways to file besides the Internet?

Yes. While we prefer that you file online using TEAS, you may either mail or hand-deliver a paper application to the USPTO. Call the USPTO's automated telephone line at (800) 786-9199 to get a printed form. You may NOT submit an application by fax

  • Mail a new paper application to:

Commissioner for Trademarks
P.O. Box 1451
Alexandria, VA 22313-1451

  • Hand-deliver the application to: Trademark Assistance Center, James Madison Building - East Wing, Concourse Level, 600 Dulany Street, Alexandria, VA.

Must I hire an attorney?

  • If you are a foreign-domiciled applicant foreign-domiciled applicant, you must be represented at the USPTO by an attorney who is licensed to practice law in the United States.
  • If you are an applicant domiciled in the United States, you are not required to have an attorney, however, we strongly encourage you to hire a U.S.-licensed attorney who specializes in trademark law to guide you through the registration process.

Find information about hiring an attorney


Back to Contents