Examination guides issued after the publication of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) (October 2018), or any issued before publication but not incorporated into the TMEP, are listed below. Generally, examination guides issued before publication of the October 2018 TMEP have been incorporated into the TMEP.
- Exam Guide 4-19 Requirement of U.S.-Licensed Attorney for Foreign Trademark Applicants and Registrants
- Exam Guide 3-19 Examination of Specimens for Use in Commerce: Digitally Created or Altered and Mockup Specimens
- Exam Guide 2-19 Section 2(a)'s Scandalousness Provision after Iancu v. Brunetti
- Exam Guide 1-19 Examination of Marks for Cannabis and Cannabis-Related Goods and Services after Enactment of the 2018 Farm Bill
- Exam Guide 2-18 Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness Provision While Constitutionality Remains in Question during Period to Petition for Certiorari to U.S. Supreme Court
- Exam Guide 1-17 Section 2(a)’s Disparagement Provision after Matal v. Tam and Examination for Compliance with Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness Provision While Constitutionality Remains in Question
- Exam Guide 1-16 Compliance with Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness and Disparagement Provisions While Constitutionality Remains in Question
- Exam Guide 1-11 (Section 2(a) Deceptiveness for Class 5 Goods)
Trademark user input
In response to feedback from practitioners and other stakeholders expressing a desire to provide constructive input on examination guides before they are finalized, draft versions of guides are made available for comment through the IdeaScale® website. When a draft is available for comment, we will post it on the trademark user input page and send a Trademark Alert email. Subscribe to alert emails here.
If you have not used IdeaScale® before, you must choose the "Register Now" option, which will ask you to provide your email address, solve a basic math problem (for spam bot prevention), and agree to the terms of service. Shortly after you complete the registration page, you will receive an email verifying your account and allowing you to create a password. Once you create a password, you will be able to access the website.