Examination guides issued subsequent to the publication of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) (April 2017), or any issued prior to publication but not incorporated into the TMEP, are listed below. Generally, examination guides issued prior to the publication of the TMEP April 2017 have been incorporated into the TMEP.
- Exam Guide 04-17 Summary of “Revival of Abandoned Applications, Reinstatement of Abandoned Applications and Cancelled or Expired Registrations, and Petitions to the Director” (August 2017) [Word]
- Exam Guide 03-17 Surname Combined with Wording (August 2017) [Word]
- Exam Guide 02-17 Merely Informational Matter (July 2017) [Word]
- Exam Guide 01-17 Examination Guidance for Section 2(a)'s Disparagement Provision after Matal v. Tam and Examination for Compliance with Section 2(a)'s Scandalousness Provision While Constitutionality Remains in Question (June 2017) [Word]
- Exam Guide 01-16 Examination for Compliance with Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness and Disparagement Provisions While Constitutionality Remains in Question (March 2016) [Word]
- Exam Guide 1-11 (Section 2(a) Deceptiveness for Class 5 Goods) (May 2011) [Word]
Trademark user input
Continuing our recent initiative in response to feedback from practitioners and other stakeholders expressing a desire to provide constructive input on examination guides before they are finalized, the below draft versions of examination guides are now available for comments. If you have not used the IdeaScale® website previously, you must choose the "Register Now" option, which will ask you to provide your email address, solve a basic math problem (for spam bot prevention), and agree to the terms of service. Shortly after you complete the registration page, you will receive an email verifying your account and allowing you to create a password. Once you have created a password, you will be able to access the website.
See also, the Trademark user input page.