Examination guides issued after the publication of the Trademark Manual of Examining Procedure (TMEP) (October 2018), or any issued before publication but not incorporated into the TMEP, are listed below. Generally, examination guides issued before publication of the October 2018 TMEP have been incorporated into the TMEP.
- Exam Guide 1-20 Mandatory Electronic Filing and Specimen Requirements (Rev.)
- Exam Guide 4-19 Requirement of U.S.-Licensed Attorney for Foreign Trademark Applicants and Registrants
- Exam Guide 3-19 Examination of Specimens for Use in Commerce: Digitally Created or Altered and Mockup Specimens
- Exam Guide 2-19 Section 2(a)'s Scandalousness Provision after Iancu v. Brunetti
- Exam Guide 1-19 Examination of Marks for Cannabis and Cannabis-Related Goods and Services after Enactment of the 2018 Farm Bill
- Exam Guide 2-18 Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness Provision While Constitutionality Remains in Question during Period to Petition for Certiorari to U.S. Supreme Court
- Exam Guide 1-17 Section 2(a)’s Disparagement Provision after Matal v. Tam and Examination for Compliance with Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness Provision While Constitutionality Remains in Question
- Exam Guide 1-16 Compliance with Section 2(a)’s Scandalousness and Disparagement Provisions While Constitutionality Remains in Question
- Exam Guide 1-11 (Section 2(a) Deceptiveness for Class 5 Goods)
Your input on draft exam guides
You may provide input on draft versions of examination guides before they are finalized by commenting on the Trademark Policy Collaboration Site on the IdeaScale® website. When a draft is available for comment, we will post it below and send a Trademark Alert email. Subscribe to alert emails here.