- Live Patent Trial and Appeal Board America Invents Act (PTAB AIA) trial proceedings and Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) appeal and opposition proceedings.
- Educational sessions: Board judges will share tips for successful advocacy and experienced Board practitioners will discuss strategies for winning before the TTAB and PTAB.
- See judges and counsel in action during an actual Board proceeding.
- Gain familiarity with the structure and format of PTAB AIA trial and TTAB appeal and opposition proceedings.
- Strengthen your advocacy skills when appearing before the USPTO's administrative tribunals.
- Who should attend: Patent and trademark attorneys who appear in front of the PTAB and/or TTAB as well as those who want to learn about practice before these administrative tribunals.
- To register for this event, please RSVP.
- Free and open to the public.
- Continuing Legal Education (CLE) credits will be offered.
- Patent Case for Hearing: Life Technologies v. Unison Strategic IP
11:00 to 11:15 am
Welcome and Opening Remarks
Professor Jorge Contreras, Associate Professor, University of Utah, S.J. Quinney College of Law
Molly Kocialski, Denver Regional Office Director, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
Janet Gongola, Senior Advisor, Office of the Under Secretary and Director, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
11:15 to 12:00 pm
Trademark Presentation: State of the TTAB
|Chief Judge Gerry Rogers|
12:00 to 12:45 pm
12:45 to 1:45 pm
PTAB and TTAB Judge Panel:
Tips for Successful Written Briefing and Oral Arguments
TTAB : Judge Lorelei Ritchie, Judge Linda Kuczma, Judge Francie Gorowtiz
PTAB: Judge Jackie Bonilla, Judge Hyun Jung, Judge Neil Powell
Moderator: Professor Jorge Contreras
1:45 to 2:00 pm
|2:00 to 2:05 pm||Introduction of PTAB Trial Proceeding||Professor Jorge Contreras|
|2:05 to 3:05 pm||PTAB AIA Trial Proceeding|
Judge Jackie Bonilla, Judge Hyun Jung, Judge Neil Powell
|3:05 to 3:45 pm|
Strategies for Appealing Cases to the PTAB and TTAB
Joseph Mallon, Knobbe Martens, San Diego
Moderator: Molly Kocialski
|3:45 to 4:00 pm||Closing Remarks|
Professor Jorge Contreras