Private PAIR Users
- Browsers/workstations must accept Entrust security applets, for download and use, at least for the length of a particular communications session. Workstations must run a supported Java Runtime Environment/Java Virtual Machine (JRE/JVM).
Supported Operating Systems (OS), Browser, and JRE/JVM version combinations
|Operating Systems||Web Browsers||Java Runtime Version|
* The Microsoft Edge internet browser is not currently supported. For users of Windows 10, please contact the Patent Electronic Business Center (PEBC) for assistance with alternative browser options.
(link is external)** Google Chrome ended their support for Java plug-ins with versions 45. Therefore, Chrome users with version 45 and above will no longer be able to log into EFS-Web or Private PAIR. Oracle is recommending the use of alternative browsers such as Firefox, Internet Explorer, and Safari. For additional information regarding Java and Chrome please visit https://java.com/en/download/faq/chrome.xml(link is external)
Although the above browsers should continue to work with EFS-Web and Private PAIR, there is always a possibility that these providers may decide to discontinue support of Java plug-ins as well. The USPTO is closely monitoring for any changes, and is committed to keep the IP Community informed accordingly.
Furthermore, the USPTO is investigating if there are possible strategies to mitigate the impact. The Agency is working on a longer term plan to improve the overall authentication process. For USPTO updates regarding this issue please visit either of our Announcements pages:
If you need assistance with this matter, or have questions on any eFiling topic, please visit the Patent Electronic Business Center webpage for comprehensive contact information, FAQ’s, and other eFiling resources.
** For Safari 7 users, additional configurations may be required. Please contact the Patent Electronic Business Center (PEBC) for assistance.
Please note that each browser version (major and minor releases) may have specific issues that USPTO cannot always address. If you install a later browser version, please be sure to maintain one of the supported browsers in order to ensure access to EFS‐Web. Additional browsers and Java versions are not supported. However, a workaround may be available. Please contact the Patent EBC for general support. Please check the vendor website for additional information relating to vulnerabilities and end of life support.
>> How to view TIFF images for Patents
>> JAVA 2 Platform, Standard Edition 5.0, v 1.5.0_06 (J2SE) JAVA Runtime Environment (JRE) is required
Please ensure that the following settings are applied to your computer and/or network.
NOTE: System administrative rights may be required.
- Networks and Firewall infrastructures must allow outbound communication to USPTO via port 443/https.
- Networks and Firewall infrastructures must not strip packet header contents.
- Workstations must run a supported Operating System version.
- Browsers/workstations must accept cookies, at least for the length of a particular communications session.
COOKIE AND JAVA CONFIGURATION DETAILS
A “session cookie” is information sent by a web site server to your computer while you are connected to that site. Session cookies expire once all browser windows are closed. EFS‐Web’s cookies temporarily store information about your interactions that may be needed later for the system to perform a function. As you move from page to page in EFS‐Web, cookies allow your specific Name, Documents, Fees, etc. to be retrieved. No persistent cookies are used.