Benefits of using the Electronic Filing System (EFS-Web)
- EFS-Web is safe. Filings made with EFS-Web provide you with the same legal protection as paper-based filings. You receive an electronic receipt and confirmation, as well as the ability to print the receipt for your records, affirming your receipt date.
- EFS-Web is simple. Even the largest and most complex patent applications can be submitted by attaching PDF files and filling out a few simple web screens.
- EFS-Web is secure. EFS-Web submissions are protected through state-of-the-art security methods, including Transport Layer Security (TLS), and if you sign up as a registered filer, Digital Certificates, one of the most secure methods now available.
- EFS-Web is fast. In just a few minutes and using a few web screens, you can submit a patent application, pay for your filing and receive an acknowledgment receipt.
- EFS-Web is flexible. EFS-Web requires you to make no changes to the tools, processes or workflows you use to author patent applications and documents. Filing with EFS-Web does not require you to learn how to use new authoring tools.
EFS-Web is forgiving. EFS-Web validates whether the PDF files and data you're trying to file can be accepted before they are submitted. If there's a problem, EFS-Web will tell you why the document can't be submitted - allowing you to take corrective action quickly.
- EFS-Web Overview [PDF 3.6MB]
- EFS-Web Reference Guide [PDF 1.68MB]
- Getting Started -- New Users (Obtain Customer Number and Verified USPTO.gov account)
- Associate your PCT application with a Customer Number[PDF 25KB]
- Security [PDF 1MB]
- EFS-Web System Requirements
- PDF Guidelines -Directions for creating PDF files that may be submitted to the USPTO via EFS
- PDF Creation [PDF 768KB]
Learn More about EFS-Web
- EFS-Web eForms (Fillable Forms)
- Document Descriptions [Excel, 200KB]
- Document Indexing - General rules for document description indexing
- PCT Indexing Guides
- Filing a New International Application Under PCT [PDF, 143KB] (22JULY2010)
- Filing a Demand for International Preliminary Examination [PDF, 149KB] (22JULY2010)
- Filing a communication (RO/US or ISA/US) [PDF, 150KB] (22JULY2010)
- Filing a communication (IPEA/US) [PDF, 148KB] (22JULY2010)
Quick Start Guides
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web [PDF 981KB]
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web Contingency [PDF 516KB]
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web ePetitions [PDF 997KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Quick Path Information Disclosure Statement (QPIDS) [PDF 573KB]
- Quick Start Guide for eTerminal Disclaimer [PDF 4205KB]
- Quick Start Guide for PCT [PDF 47KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Pre-Grant Publications [PDF 199KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Supplemental Examination [PDF 2511KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Third-Party Preissuance Submissions under 37 CFR 1.290 [PDF 1918KB]
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web International Design Application (Hague) Submissions [PDF 3417KB]
- Quick Start Guide for EFS-Web Issue Fee Transmittal (Web 85b) [PDF 3360KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Web-based Application Data Sheet (Web ADS) [PDF 3121KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Corrected Web-based Application Data Sheet (Corrected Web ADS) [PDF 2.25 MB]
- Quick Start Guide for Fee Payment (Financial Manager) [PDF 536 KB]
- Quick Start Guide for Text Intake in EFS-Web [PDF 1.34 MB]
- EFS-Web 1.4 Training [PPT, 3.58 MB > [Free Viewer] - Comprehensive training on EFS-Web
- Simulated EFS - Unregistered eFilers (Updated 25AUG2008)
- Simulated EFS - Registered eFilers (Updated 25AUG2008)
Legal Information and Guidance/Patent Application Initiatives
- Legal Framework [PDF 583KB] ((23OCT2019)
- Patent Electronic System Subscriber Agreement (NOV2018) for USPTO.gov Users of EFS-Web, PAIR, and Patent Center
- PKI Subscribers Agreement [PDF 111KB](11FEB2013) [Superseded] – Effective for submissions filed using PKI certificate prior to July 16, 2019. Superseded by Patent Electronic System Subscriber Agreement.
- EFS-Web ePetition Resource Page - Information regarding the automatic processing and immediate grant of ePetitions
- Quick Path Information Disclosure Statement (QPIDS) Pilot Program)
- Prioritized Examination (Track 1) - Information about filing a Prioritized Examination including FAQs, guidelines, and other useful resources.
- eTerminal Disclaimer Page - Information about filing an eTerminal Disclaimer
- Full technical support for EFS-Web is available through the Patent Electronic Business Center (EBC) at 866-217-9197 (toll-free) or 571-272-4100 from 6 a.m. to 12 Midnight Eastern Time, Monday - Friday.