Patent Center Beta is now available for all users. Patent Center is a new tool for electronic filing and management of patent applications. Patent Center and DOCX filing features:
- Updated infrastructure to enable more efficient system integration
- Increased functionality and overall system usefulness
- Enhanced user experience through improved interface
- Single unified interface for patent applicants
- Use of existing USPTO.gov accounts and sponsorships
- Submission of the specification, claims and abstract in a single DOCX document without the need to manually separate sections
- Elimination of user conversion from DOCX into a PDF for filing
- Security of documents through automatic DOCX metadata detection and scrubbing
- Improved processes for patent submission, review, and management
- Uses same authentication and sponsorship process as EFS-Web and PAIR
- Practice filing in DOCX format in Patent Center Training mode
Electronic filing provides multiple benefits, such as immediate routing of documents to USPTO internal systems, an Acknowledgement Receipt to show that the USPTO has received the submission, reduced manual processing and paper waste, elimination of wait times associated with conventional mailing, and the ability to save your submission package to complete, review, or submit at a later time. Electronic Filing System - Web (EFS-Web) and Patent Application Information Retrieval (PAIR) system, will remain available and customers should use them for items not yet implemented in Patent Center.
Patent Center known issues and workarounds
The following limitations and known issues apply to the current Patent Center release:
Legal Information and Guidance
For questions or comments regarding the eMod initiative or the eMod IdeaScale website, please contact eMod@uspto.gov.
For questions or technical issues regarding how to use the current tools, EFS-Web and PAIR, please contact the Patent Electronic Business Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-217-9197. Mon. - Fri., 6 a.m. - 12 a.m. ET.