All customers are encouraged to register so they are ready to use the full features of EFS-Web for Registered eFilers and Private PAIR.
For questions/comments or further assistance on any announcement below, please send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org or call the Patent Electronic Business Center at 1-866-217-9197 (toll-free) or 571-272-4100 from 6 a.m. to 12 Midnight Eastern Time, Monday - Friday.
|New Applications:||24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year|
|Follow-on Submissions:||23 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year . Unavailable daily from 4:30AM - 5:30AM ET|
|Fee Payment (Stored Payment Method via USPTO Payment Page (Financial Manager)):||23.5 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. Unavailable daily from 12:01AM to 12:30AM|
Advisory (11JUNE2020): Preserving Image Fidelity:
As a best practice, the USPTO encourages applicants to review all submissions in Private PAIR to confirm that submissions are complete and document image quality is acceptable. Drawings available in Private PAIR under the Image File Wrapper tab can serve as a preview of the image quality as it would publish on the patent grant. It is important to follow the recommendations below to preserve image fidelity.
When creating PDF documents:
- For best resolution, PDFs should be set to a resolution of 300 DPI. This information can be found in your PDF application settings
- Do not use any background colors, e.g., grayscale
- EFS-Web and Patent Center requires that images with multiple layers be “flattened” before embedding them into the PDF document. Do not include any layers, annotations, comments etc.
- Adjust document color settings to RBG rather than CMYK color space which can all be found in your PDF application settings
- Avoid using document compression, such as JBIG2 compression, or “smallest file size” PDF settings.
When creating Drawings – only black and white line drawings (Document Code: DRW):
- Use only black and white lined drawings only; submitting any grayscale drawings may cause the image to blur or become distorted.
- Applicants should adjust the color value of black in the image to #000000 and the color value of white to #FFFFFF
Advisory (15MAY2020): 15 series application numbers
Beginning on May 12, 2020, some new nonprovisional Utility applications filed via EFS-Web and Patent Center were assigned 15 series application numbers (specifically, 15/930001 through 15/932000), rather than a 16 series application number. The application numbers were not previously used for other applications. These application numbers, therefore, are valid application numbers that were correctly assigned by the USPTO. The sequence of application numbers assigned is not always in date order and has no impact on the processing and examination of applications.
Advisory (14MAY2020): COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Pilot Program for small and micro entities
Patent applicants who qualify for the COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Pilot Program may now submit a request via EFS-Web or Patent Center (Beta).
How to file:
• Fill out Pilot Program Form PTO/SB/450.
• Save the form and upload it via our patent electronic filing system, EFS-Web or Patent Center (Beta).
• For Original Utility (Track One)—Prioritized Examination, select “New application/proceeding Utility > Track I Prioritized Examination - Nonprovisional Application under 35 USC 111(a)” as the EFS-Web submission type. Do not choose “Utility > Nonprovisional Application under 35 USC 111(a)“ or “Utility > Accelerated Exam.”
• For Request for Continued Examination—Prioritized Examination, select “Existing application/patent/proceeding” > “Documents/Fees for an existing application/proceeding” as the EFS-Web submission type.
• When uploading your PTO/SB/450 form, select document description “COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Request” (found under both the “Track I - Prioritized Examination” and “Pilot Programs” categories) on the EFS-Web Attach Documents screen and Patent Center Upload Documents screen to ensure processing.
For more information on the new program, please visit the COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Pilot Program webpage, Federal Register notice, or USPTO press release.
For questions about Track One prioritized examination, please visit the Track One resource page.
For questions about EFS-Web or Public and Private PAIR system, please contact the Patent Electronic Business Center at 866-217-9197.
For questions regarding the COVID-19 Prioritized Examination Pilot Program Federal Register notice, please contact Robert Clarke at 571-272-7735 or via email at covid19PrioritizedExamPilot@uspto.gov.
Advisory (20APRIL2020): Patent Center Beta is now available for all users. Patent Center is a new tool for electronic filing and management of patent applications.
Patent Center and DOCX filing features:
- Single unified interface for patent applicants
- Use of existing USPTO.gov accounts and sponsorships
- Submission of the specification, claims and abstract in a single DOCX document without the need to manually separate sections
- Elimination of user conversion from DOCX into a PDF for filing
- Security of documents through automatic DOCX metadata detection and scrubbing
- Practice filing in DOCX format in Patent Center Training mode
Electronic filing provides multiple benefits, such as immediate routing of documents to USPTO internal systems, an Acknowledgement Receipt to show that the USPTO has received the submission, reduced manual processing and paper waste, elimination of wait times associated with conventional mailing, and the ability to save your submission package to complete, review, or submit at a later time.
We encourage you to use Patent Center Beta and provide feedback. Your feedback is valuable to us and your participation shapes the future of our systems at the USPTO. To provide feedback on Patent Center Beta, please visit the eMod IdeaScale. Additionally, you can send questions and comments to eMod@uspto.gov.
More information about Patent Center Beta is available on the Patent Center Information page.
To learn more, please register for an upcoming Patent Center Beta and DOCX training session
For technical questions or assistance, please contact the Patent Electronic Business Center at email@example.com or 866-217-9197.
Advisory (16APRIL2020): Private PAIR Admin Features
We encourage customers to use the online resources available in Private PAIR for creating new Customer Numbers, updating existing Customer Numbers, uploading Customer Number spreadsheets and updating PCT applications with a Customer Number.
These online features are found within the PAIR Administration menu in Private PAIR.
- Create New Customer Number
- View Customer Number Details
- Update Application Address
- Change the correspondence and/or maintenance fee of up to 20 applications simultaneously
- Power of attorney is required to update the address.
- Independent Inventors who need to update the correspondence address of an application will need to file Correspondence Address Form AIA/122 or SB/122 via EFS-Web.
- Independent Inventors who need to update the maintenance fee address of an application will need to file Fee Address Indication Form AIA/47 or SB/47 via EFS-Web or fax to 571-273-6500
- Associate a PCT application in the International phase with a Customer Number for purposes of viewing the PCT application in Private PAIR by downloading and completing the Request to Update a PCT Application with a Customer Number PTO-2248 and submit via fax at 571-273-0177
If you have questions, please contact Patent Electronic Business Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or 866-217-9197.
Advisory (23MARCH2020): Receiving office communications electronically
The USPTO continues to encourage customers to take advantage of the efficiency and convenience of our online business systems. The USPTO currently offers electronic notification of Office communications, including Office actions to those participating in the e-Office Action program. The USPTO is encouraging registered users of the USPTO’s Patent Electronic Systems who are not currently participating in the e-Office Action program to log into Private PAIR to update their Customer Number details to receive electronic notifications of Office communications (e.g., by selecting the option “Receive Correspondence Notification via e-Mail” on the Edit Customer Details screen).
For more information, please visit the e-Office Action program webpage on the USPTO website.
Advisory (16JUL2019): Verified USPTO.gov account required for EFS-Web and Private PAIR
Practitioners and independent inventors need a verified USPTO.gov account to access EFS-Web for registered eFilers and Private PAIR. Support staff working on behalf of a practitioner needs to be sponsored to obtain access.
New customers, or customers who did not migrate by the migration deadline, can obtain a verified USPTO.gov account using the new verification process. See the Authentication Change webpage for more information.
e-Biz Alerts - Check current status, planned events, descriptions, operating requirements/compatibilities and standard hours of availability for online business systems
e-Commerce Patents Alerts - Receive up-to-date information, including news and system enhancements, regarding the USPTO Patents e-Commerce programs