Java Installation for Web Browsers
A key component of EFS-Web is the use of Java applets to operate security features. For Registered users, Java enables them to login and access their account information online.
- Java is a general purpose programming language with a number of features that make the language well suited for use on the Web.
- Small Java applications are called Java applets and can be downloaded from a Web server and run on your computer by a Java-enabled Web browser such as Google Chrome or Microsoft Internet Explorer.
Java-enabling a computer should be handled in one of two ways:
- First, if your organization has an IT department, System Administrator or Security Administrator, contact them using your organization's standard support procedures and request that your computer be Java-enabled. The USPTO encourages all EFS-Web users to maintain compliance with their organization's policies regarding changes to their desktop machines and IT security infrastructure.
- If you would like to Java-enable your computer yourself, please following procedures below:
1. Go to: www.java.com.
2. Click on the red "Free Java Download" Button.
3. On the Download page, select the red "Agree and Start Free Download" button.
4. On the Download page, select the "Installation Instructions" link for proper instructions on installing Java.