This screen allows applicants to enter and submit Correction Requests to data shown on the Publication Review screen to match the data set forth in certain previously filed application papers. Correction Requests must be received earlier than fourteen (14) weeks prior to the projected publication date to be reflected in the patent application publication. This screen cannot be used to submit Correction Requests in applications filed under 35 U.S.C. 371 (i.e., national stage applications). This screen also cannot accept special characters, e.g., umlauts.
Correction Request Instructions
Where a properly signed application data sheet (ADS) is submitted on filing of the application, information that can be corrected with this screen includes:
- any typographical error by the Office that does not match the data set forth in the ADS submitted on filing, e.g., title, inventor information, attorney docket number, domestic benefit information, foreign priority information.
Note: Representative Information is taken from an actual power of attorney document present in the application rather than the ADS and thus cannot be corrected with this screen.
Where no application data sheet (ADS) is submitted on filing of the application, typographic corrections of data entry errors made by the Office that can be corrected with this screen includes:
- typographic corrections in the title to match the title on the specification as filed;
- typographic corrections in the name of the inventor to match the spelling shown on the executed declaration submitted on filing of the application;
- typographic corrections in the residence and/or mailing address of the inventor to match the spelling shown on the executed declaration submitted on filing of the application (e.g., Wilmington, Delaware was recorded as Wilmington, Germany).
Note: The Correction Request may not be more than 4000 characters long. If your Request is more than 4000 characters, you may submit it in multiple requests.
Corrections That Are NOT Permitted
This screen cannot be used:
- to submit Correction Requests in applications filed under 35 U.S.C. 371 (i.e., national stage applications);
- to submit Correction Requests based on papers submitted after the filing date of the application (applicant may submit a request for corrected filing receipt in the application);
- to make changes to applications that are abandoned, allowed, or patented;
- to make changes to applications already published, as the data reflected in the patent application publication will not be changed if a change is made to the Office's electronic records (e.g., PALM) (applicant must submit the fully amended application as a Pre-Grant Publication submission via EFS-Web).
This screen cannot be used to change data that is shown in the application's written record where the Office did not make a data entry error. This screen is a mechanism to notify the Office of the Office's data entry errors, not a mechanism to correct information that was provided by applicants. For example, the following changes cannot be made with this screen:
- addition or deletion of an inventor after inventorship has been set, e.g., a proper ADS was filed before or with the inventor's oath or declaration, see 37 CFR 1.41(b) (applicant must submit a proper request under 37 CFR 1.48, an ADS with corrections or updates shown with markings and the appropriate fee(s));
- requests to change the filing date of an application (the applicant must submit a filing date petition, see the Manual of Patent Examining Procedure, Sections 506.02 and 513 for further information);
- changes by applicant to the application information, e.g., change of correspondence address, changes to domestic benefit or foreign priority data, including additions or deletions of domestic benefit or foreign priority claims not previously submitted or not previously recognized by the Office and corrections to the domestic benefit or foreign priority information to correct typographical errors made by applicant (correspondence address changes must be by an ADS or other correspondence submitted in the application; changes to domestic benefit or foreign priority data must be by way of an ADS with corrections or updates shown with markings and may also require a petition under 37 CFR 1.78 or 1.55);
- changes to Assignee Information including Non-Applicant Assignee Information provided on the ADS (applicant must submit an ADS with corrections or updates shown with markings).
- changes to information when the papers submitted by applicant are inconsistent (e.g., title on the specification is different than the title on the ADS).
Corrections that are not permitted via this screen can be made by submitting an appropriate request via EFS-Web.
Requests that comply with these instructions will be forwarded to the appropriate division for processing. For questions regarding the status of the request, please contact the Application Assistance Unit (AAU) at 571-272-4000 or 888-786-0101.