Stay informed with the latest Patents for Humanity news and deadlines by signing up for the USPTO Awards newsletter.
- Sept 15, 2023: Patents for Humanity: Green Energy application cycle is closed.
- May 17, 2023: Submission deadline extended to September 15, 2023 for Patents for Humanity: Green Energy category competition.
- March 6, 2023: The USPTO announces the Patents for Humanity: Green Energy category. The deadline for submissions is June 1, 2023.
- February 16, 2023 at 1 p.m. ET: USPTO will host a virtual ceremony to recognize Patents for Humanity: COVID-19 category winners.
- December 15, 2022: USPTO announces the Patents for Humanity: COVID-19 category winners. Learn more about this year’s winners here.
- September 30, 2021 at 5 p.m. ET: Deadline for submitting applications for the Patents for Humanity: COVID-19 category. Learn more about the program here.
- September 17, 2020 at 2 p.m. ET: Virtual award ceremony premiered on the USPTO Facebook page. Watch a recording of the event.
- August 26, 2020: USPTO announces the 2020 Patents for Humanity winners. Learn more about the winners here.
- February 16, 2020: The application period for Patents for Humanity 2020 has closed. Winners will be announced in September 2020.
- Learn more about the application process and how to support the program below.
Patents for Humanity is the United States Patent and Trademark Office's (USPTO) awards competition recognizing innovators who use game-changing technology to meet global humanitarian challenges. The program provides business incentives for reaching those in need: winners receive an acceleration certificate to expedite select proceedings at the USPTO, as well as public recognition of their work. The awards showcase how patent holders with vision are pioneering innovative ways to provide affordable, scalable, and sustainable solutions for the less fortunate.
Businesses and others are finding unique and creative ways to reach underserved markets. Their stories show that humanitarian engagement is compatible with business interests and strong patent rights, and that companies can effectively contribute to global good while maintaining commercial markets. Watch a video about the Patents for Humanity award to learn more.
Application process and eligibility
Patents for Humanity submissions are evaluated on the effectiveness of their technology to address humanitarian issues, the contributions made by applicants to increase use of their technology among the impoverished, and the impact those contributions have made to improve lives. The program is open to all types of patent holders, applicants, and licensees. The application period for Patents for Humanity 2020 has closed. Winners were announced in August 2020. Please contact us if you have any questions.
The competition is open to any patent owners, patent applicants, or patent licensees. Applicants may team together to submit a single joint application as long as at least one applicant meets the eligibility criteria. View the complete terms and conditions for 2019. View the complete terms and conditions for the Patents for Humanity: COVID-19 category competition.
Support the program
Your support is critical to making the Patents for Humanity program a success. First and foremost we want potential applicants to know that it exists. We need help publicizing the program beyond our own communication channels in order to attract the best candidates. Help us spread the word about Patents for Humanity to those with game-changing technologies. Please feel free to use the ready-made material below.
It’s easy to help! You can:
- Place the Patents for Humanity banner on your website.
- Mention the program in your emails, newsletters, blogs, and other public communications.
- Discuss the program with clients and colleagues.
- Mention it in your presentations.
- Invite USPTO speakers to conferences, meetings, and other events.