How To View and Download References
To view and download cited US references for an application using PAIR's E-Patent Reference, you will first need to verify that your computer meets the System Requirements. See Software Installation Instructions for guidance when installing Java™ or Adobe® Reader®.
- Microsoft Windows 98 (2nd edition)
- Windows ME
- Windows NT 4.0 (with Service Pack 6a)
- Windows 2000 Professional (with Service Pack 3)
- Windows XP Home
- Windows XP Professional (with Service Pack 1)
- Intel or 100% compatible processor, Pentium 166MHz or faster processor
- Pentium 500MHz or faster recommended
- 100Mb minimum free hard drive space
- includes 67Mb for the Java™ Runtime Environment and Java™ Web Start
- 500Mb recommended
- 128Mb memory (RAM) minimum
- 256Mb or more recommended
- Windows 2000/XP: MS JVM 5.0, Sun Java plugin 1.5.0 and above JRE 1.5.0_06 or higher strongly recommended
- Adobe® Reader® 7.0.8 or higher
Software Installation Instructions
Follow these instructions to install the latest version of JavaTM2 Runtime Environment (JRE). You must have local administrative rights for your computer.
Note: Completing the installation of the Java Runtime Environment Update will close all Internet Explorer windows. To prevent data loss, please finish your online work before installing the update.
Windows 2000/XP users:
- Go to http://java.sun.com/javase/downloads/index.jsp
- Scroll down to "Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 5.0 Update 10" and click on the "Download" button next to it.
- Accept the License Agreement and click on "Windows Online Installation, Multi-language". (You may also use the Offline Installation, which is a larger download.)
- In the dialog box that appears, choose "Save" to save the file on your computer and run the installer or choose "Open" to run it from the download site.
- Choose "Typical Setup", read and accept the License Agreement.
- Click on "Finish" when the installation is completed.
- Close all IE windows and reboot your system.
Additionally, TruePass requires the following settings in order to work properly.
- Click the "Start" menu, go to Control Panel, and select Java. The Java Control Panel will be launched.
- Click on the "Advanced" tab, expand the "Security" option, and enable "use TLS 1.0" by placing a check in the box. Click on "Apply" and then "OK".
Now launch Internet Explorer.
- Select "Tools" from the menu bar and choose "Internet Options".
- Select the "Advanced" tab. Check the entry under "Java(Sun)", located at about the middle of the scroll box. It should read: "Use JRE 1.5.0_10" and the box should be checked.
- Now scroll to the bottom, find the entry "Use TLS 1.0". This box should also be checked.
- Click "Apply" and "OK".
If you are using a proxy to connect to the Internet, you need to copy the "Address" and "Port" entries to Java.
(To determine whether you are using a proxy to connect to the Internet, open Internet Explorer, choose the "Tools" menu and select "Internet Options". Click on the "Connections" tab and the "LAN Settings" button. If the box under "Proxy Server" labeled "Use a proxy server for you LAN" is checked, you are using a proxy to connect to the Internet.)
- Close all Internet Explorer windows. Click on the "Start" menu and go to the Control Panel.
- Choose Java to open the Java Control Panel.
- Open the "General" tab and click on "Network Settings", select the "Proxy Server" radio button and fill out the "Address" and "Port" boxes so they match what the settings are in Internet Explorer.
- Click "OK" and then click on "Delete Files" under "Temporary Internet Files" in the "General" tab. Click "Apply and OK".
- Go to: http://www.adobe.com/
- Click the "Get Adobe® Reader®" link under the "Adobe PDF" column.
- Complete Steps 1 and 2, then click the DOWNLOAD link.
- When prompted by the File Download window, click the Open button to begin the download.
View and Download References
If the E-Patent Reference service is available for your application, the "Display References" button will appear when viewing the search results for Application Number, Patent Number, or Publication Number. Click this button to view a list of electronic reference forms, sorted by Mail Date. In the "Form Type" column, click the desired reference form link. E-Patent Reference will launch and retrieve a list of cited US references available for download. The retrieval status, such as "Retrieving 8 of 12 references", will display at the bottom of the window. A document list will appear in the top panel of the window. Use the scroll bar to the right of the document list, or click and drag the bottom of the document list panel, to review the entire document list.
Set the Document Download Folder
The first time E-Patent Reference is launched, the following startup options will be displayed:
- Select Folder - Opens the Configuration window so you may enter or select a download folder destination.
- View List - Proceeds directly to viewing references.
- Cancel - Closes E-Patent Reference.
Once a download folder has been set, subsequent launches of E-Patent Reference will display the following startup options:
- Use Previous - E-Patent Reference will display and use the document download folder that was set in the previous session.
- Select Folder - Opens the Configuration window so you may enter or select a download folder destination. A default "Base Folder" will be displayed. Click the "Browse" button to select a different folder. If desired, the application number will be used to automatically create a subfolder within the base folder as the destination for your downloaded reference files. To disable this option, uncheck "Append application number to base folder" and use the "Browse" button to select and/or create a different folder. Click the "Save" button on the Configuration window to retain your selections.
- Cancel - Closes E-Patent Reference.
Change the Document Download Folder
After E-Patent Reference is opened, you may change the document download folder by selecting File|Configure
(Ctrl+G) on the menu bar. The Configuration window shows the current folder path in the "Base Folder" field. Type in the desired path, or click the "Browse" button to locate and select the new location. If desired, the application number will be used to automatically create a subfolder within the base folder as the destination for your downloaded reference files. To disable this option, uncheck "Append application number to base folder" and use the "Browse" button to select and/or create a different folder. Click the "Save" button on the Configuration window to retain your selections.
Preview the Front Page
To view the front page of an application, click the desired row then click the "Preview" (Ctrl+P) button. The document's Front Page will display in the panel below the document list. The Front Page panel may be resized by clicking and dragging the top panel border.
To select specific document images for download, click the check box under the Download column in the row of the desired document(s). To select all documents displayed, click the "Select All" (Ctrl+A) button. To start the download process, click the "Download" (Ctrl+D) button. The Status and Progress columns will display the state of each document download.
Cancel One or More Downloads
To cancel one or more downloads click the "Cancel" (Ctrl+C) button. From the Cancel window, select "Cancel download for highlighted row only" or "Cancel all selected downloads". Click the "OK" button to stop the specified downloads in progress.
View a Downloaded Document
The Status "PDF download complete" indicates that a document has been successfully downloaded. Use Adobe® Reader® to open and view downloaded PDF documents. Each selected document will complete its download independently, and may be viewed as other documents continue to download.
Close the Application
(Alt+F4) on the menu bar, or click the Close
button in the top right corner of the application, to exit the application. Important Note:
Only one instance of E-Patent Reference may be open on the desktop. Please close E-Patent Reference before selecting a new link from the PAIR Forms list.
The following menu items have short-cut keys:
||Front Page Preview
Support and Contact Information
Patent Electronic Business Center
Monday - Friday 6am - Midnight ET
(866) 217-9197 (toll-free)