Spend the day with design patent examiners, managers, practitioners and industrial designers from across the country at this exciting seminar. Join us for a lively and thought-provoking discussion about all aspects of design patents, from conception through enforcement. Space is still available to attend in person at the Elijah J. McCoy Midwest Regional Office, please register. (link is external)
- Meeting the new director of Tech Center 2900
- Developments at the USPTO including updates on ID5 and the Design Law Treaty initiatives
- Demonstration of the 3D image filing system used by the Korean Intellectual Property Office
- Return of the popular Patent Prosecution Best Practices Panel where experienced practitioners and USPTO examiners discuss recent examination and prosecution trends
- Tag team presentation from an industrial designer and in-house counsel about strategic protection of designs
- Distinguished panel discussing evolving design IP in the context of fashion trends
- Mock argument illustrating some implications of prosecution on claim interpretation and enforcement after a patent issues
- Popular case law wrap-up summarizing important design patent decisions over the past year, including Apple v. Samsung and recent design patent decisions from the PTAB.
In preparation for our panel on best practice tips and pitfalls, please email your own personal tips for success or prosecution processes that you’d like to see improved to Beth Ferrill.
8:30 a.m. - 9:00 a.m. - Registration and Networking (Coffee and Snacks provided)
9:00 a.m. - 10:15 a.m. - Welcoming Remarks and Live Broadcast from USPTO Headquarters
10:15 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. - Live Panel Discussion with Local Panelists:
- Vincenzo Iavicoli - College For Creative Studies, Chair, Product Design Department
- Michael B. Stewart - Fishman Stewart PLLC
- Kelly K. Burris – Burris Law, PLLC
11:30 a.m. - 12:15 p.m. - Broadcast Resumes
12:15 p.m. - 1:15 p.m. - Lunch (On your own)
1:15 p.m. - 6:30 p.m. - Live Broadcast
In your registration, please be sure to indicate that you will be attending the program at the Elijah J. McCoy Midwest Regional Office.
There is no fee to attend; however, we ask that you register in advance. Coffee will be provided during the morning; however, lunch will be on your own. For questions about viewing at the Elijah J. McCoy Midwest Regional USPTO, please call 313-446-4800.