Patent Trial and Appeal Board
The Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) conducts trials, including inter partes, post-grant, and covered business method patent reviews and derivation proceedings, hears appeals from adverse examiner decisions in patent applications and reexamination proceedings, and renders decisions in interferences.
The Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) plans to re-establish in-person hearings starting July 11, 2022, at the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) headquarters in Alexandria, VA, and at all USPTO regional offices.
- Parties will still have the option to appear virtually for appeals and trials.
- Most in-person hearings will still likely have one or more judges attending virtually.
- At least initially, PTAB will only conduct an in-person hearing when requested by all parties.
- Specific details of each hearing may vary, and will be subject to hearing room availability, agency operating status, and guidelines. Parties should refer to their Scheduling Orders and Hearing Orders for details.
- Information about accessing USPTO facilities can be found at https://www.uspto.gov/coronavirus.
- For public access to a PTAB hearing, either virtual or in-person, submit a request to PTABHearings@uspto.gov at least 3 days before the hearing.
- For more information about PTAB oral hearings, please contact PTABHearings@uspto.gov or call 571-272-9797.