Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality
The Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality is responsible for optimizing the quality of patent products, processes and services to build a culture of process improvement and enhanced patent quality for the Patents organization. This office provides support and services to improve quality throughout the Patents organization by:
- prioritizing improvement initiatives in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan and shaping cross-organizational teams to develop the most valuable programs to address those initiatives,
- continually pursuing process improvements and monitoring those improvements to facilitate the replication of best practices,
- providing training for continuous improvement at all levels of patent examination and IT infrastructure,
- routinely evaluating and reporting quality in all products and services and providing detailed feedback for improvement,
- providing consistent customer service across technologies and
- working together as a quality management team and coordinating with other areas of quality enhancement around the organization.
Focused on upholding Patent Quality, this Office is comprised of the Office of Quality Management and staff. The Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality is Valencia Martin Wallace. The Office of Quality Management is comprised of four divisions focusing on process improvement, training, quality assurance, and customer service:
The Office of Patent Training is committed to increasing the knowledge, ability, and skills of our patent employees and to delivering intellectual property information and education to our external stakeholders. Our training programs provide comprehensive training to enhance awareness of examination practice and procedures.
The Office of Patent Quality Assurance provides assessment and analysis of quality at the USPTO through work product reviews for compliance, clarity, and best practices; defining and standardizing quality metrics; and providing feedback to technology centers regarding their reviews and training.
The Office of Process Improvement (OPI) provides the methods, resources, and training to optimize USPTO business processes and strengthen the agency’s strategic goals of timeliness and quality.
The Office of Stakeholder Outreach and Patents Ombudsman implements external partnering and engagement to inventors, patent applicants, and attorneys throughout the application process.