The Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality is responsible for optimizing the quality of patent products, processes and services to build a culture of process improvement and enhanced patent quality for the Patents organization. This office provides support and services to improve quality throughout the Patents organization by:
- prioritizing improvement initiatives in alignment with the organization’s strategic plan and shaping cross-organizational teams to develop the most valuable programs to address those initiatives,
- continually pursuing process improvements and monitoring those improvements to facilitate the replication of best practices,
- providing training for continuous improvement at all levels of patent examination and IT infrastructure,
- routinely evaluating and reporting quality in all products and services and providing detailed feedback for improvement,
- providing consistent customer service across technologies and
- working together as a quality management team and coordinating with other areas of quality enhancement around the organization.
Focused on upholding Patent Quality, this Office is comprised of the Office of Quality Management and staff. The Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality is Valencia Martin Wallace. The Office of Quality Management is comprised of four divisions focusing on process improvement, training, quality assurance, and customer service: