The Office of the Deputy Commissioner for Patent Quality (ODCPQ) supports the USPTO's goals to provide high quality patent products and services along with an outstanding customer experience through ongoing quality control & assurance, process improvement, training, and stakeholder issue resolution.
Featured programs and services:
Patent training and stakeholder events
- Virtual Instructor Led Training (vILT)
The vILT program gives the public a better understanding of various topics related to examination practice and procedure based on training delivered to patent examiners
- Stakeholder Training on Practice and Procedure (STEPP)
Courses are led by patent trainers and based on material developed for training new patent examiners
- Patent Quality Chat Webinars
Offers timely information on patent quality initiatives with an opportunity to engage via live Q&A in a webinar-only format for practicioners and inventors
Patent application issue resolution
Assists applicants with stalled and complex application issues to get applications back on track
- What is the status of my Application?
- When will I get the First Office Action (i.e., my first formal communication from the USPTO)?
Ways to get involved:
- Patent Examiner Technical Training Program (PETTP)
Invites technologists, scientists, engineers, and other experts from industry and academia to guest lecture and provide training to patent examiners
- Site Experience Education Program (SEE)
Provides organizations located within the continental U.S. the opportunity to voluntarily host patent examiners for technical site visits and expand their understanding of our Patents customers