Washington, D.C. - The Department of Commerce's United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce will team with U.S. Representative Earl Blumenauer on Friday, September 14, to present a free educational forum that will highlight the growing threats of counterfeiting and piracy, while also providing information on how businesses can protect and enforce their own intellectual property rights in the U.S. and overseas.
Government and industry experts will discuss the risks and impacts of counterfeiting and piracy and how businesses can mitigate those risks by making intellectual property protection part of their business plan. They also will highlight U.S. government resources that are available to help businesses protect their intellectual property rights.
Free educational forum to educate businesses about the threats of counterfeiting and piracy and how to protect their intellectual property.
Featured speakers to include:
- U.S. Representative Earl Blumenauer
- Brad Huther, Senior Advisor of the U.S. Chamber's Anti-Counterfeiting and Piracy Initiative
- John Koeppen, Attorney-Advisor, U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Vanessa Backman, Assistant General Counsel, Adidas International
- Barbara T. Cason, Associate General Counsel and Director of Intellectual Property, Columbia Sportswear
- Jennifer Yruegas, Trademark Attorney, Nike
- Robin Taylor, Assistant U.S. Attorney and Computer Hacking Intellectual Property Coordinator, United States Department of Justice
Friday, September 14, 2007
Seminar begins: 8:30 a.m.
Industry Panel: 10:30 a.m. - 12 p.m.
Congressman Blumenauer Remarks: 12:30 p.m. - 1 p.m.
Doubletree Hotel - Lloyd Center
1000 NE Multnomah Street
There is no charge to attend this event. Lunch will be provided.
Media who would like more information or wish to RSVP for the event should email Jennifer.Rankin_Byrne@uspto.gov or call 571-272-8400. Information on the USPTO's efforts to educate small businesses about intellectual property theft can be found at www.stopfakes.gov/smallbusiness.