U. S. PATENT RESOURCES
As general guidance, a complete search of U. S. patents in this art area will include the following:
- A classified search of the original classification class and subclass for the subject matter and the other highly relevant art areas in the US patent documents
- A text search of the US patent documents; patents, PG PUB, and OCR databases:
- Broad text search for the general inventive concept(s), not limited by classification
- Narrow text search for the specific claimed invention
- Boolean text search employing the relevant inventive terms
The resources listed below are internal USPTO search
tools. However, the information that they cover is available either
commercially, on the USPTO web site, or in the Public Search Facility
on the USPTO Headquarters campus and the Patent and Trademark Depository
- EAST Coverage: 1971 - present, Full Text: 1971 - present
- WEST Coverage: 1971 - present, Full Text: 1971 - present
Full text patent and inventor searching.
All patent documents in a classification are viewed for relevance to the patent application being searched. Text search queries may include classification parameters when combined with other terms to be searched in the technical content of the application.
BRS Search/USOCR Database
- EAST Coverage: 1920 - 1970, Full Text: 1920 - 1970
- WEST Coverage: 1920 - 1970, Full Text: 1920 - 1970
Full text of U.S. patent grants.
Includes the ability to formulate queries by classification.
- EAST Coverage: 2001 - present, Full Text: 2001 - present
- WEST Coverage: 2001 - present, Full Text: 2001 - present
U.S. published applications.
USPC classification or full text search capabilities.
FOREIGN PATENT RESOURCES
Searched separately from the U.S. Patent Search. These databases consist of abstract documents. Text searching abstracts requires the use of different search logic e.g. the use of broad Boolean and/or operators instead of narrow proximity operators.
Derwent World Patents Index and the contents of the EPO Abstracts and JPO Abstracts are available commercially.
EPO Abstracts, Text and Classification Search
- EAST Coverage: 1978 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- WEST Coverage: 1978 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English abstracts database of patents and published applications from EPO, WO/PCT, United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Switzerland. USPC searching is limited to documents added to the database from 1978 to September 30, 1995.
EPO patent documents in a USPC or an IPC classification are viewed for relevance to the patent application being searched.
JPO Abstracts, Text and Classification Search
- EAST Coverage: 1976 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- WEST Coverage: 1976 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English abstracts database of Japanese published unexamined applications. USPC searching is limited to documents added to the database from 1978 to September 30, 1995.
JPO patent documents in a USPC or an IPC classification are viewed for relevance to the patent application being searched.
NON-PATENT LITERATURE RESOURCES
The resources listed are those that USPTO staff have found consistently yield the most relevant search results.
Commercial databases available through a single vendor can generally be searched simultaneously,
although it is preferable to search full text and bibliographic databases in separate
groupings. In addition to the use of subscription databases and public Internet
sites, it is recommended that books, manuals, standards and specifications be
considered in the search for prior art.
- Dialog Coverage: 1971 - present, Full Text: 1991 - present
- STN Coverage: 1971 - present, Full Text: 1991 - present
Covers worldwide business and management issues.
Bibliographic and full text journal articles covering virtually every aspect of business, including new product development.
Business & IndustryTM (B&I)
- Dialog Coverage: 1994 - present, Full Text: 1994 - present
Facts, figures, and key events dealing with public and private companies, industries, markets products for all manufacturing and service industries at an international level.
- Dialog Coverage: 1970 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- Questel Orbit Coverage: 1970 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- STN Coverage: 1970 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Comprehensive database of engineering literature.
This resource is likely to contain relevant information.
Gale Group GlobalbaseTM
- Dialog Coverage: 1986 - 2002, Full Text: - N/A
Worldwide coverage of companies, products, and industries with a primary focus on Europe.
Gale Group Magazine DatabaseTM
- Dialog Coverage: 1959 - present, Full Text: 1983 - present
Current and retrospective news from more than 400 popular magazines on such subjects as consumer behavior, media trends, popular culture, political opinion, leisure activities, and contemporary lifestyles.
Full text articles on automobiles, finance, sports/recreation, food, and health.
Gale Group New Product Announcements/Plus (NPA/Plus)
- Dialog Coverage: 1985 - present, Full Text: 1985 - present
Full text press releases from all industries covering announcements related to products, with a focus on new products and services.
Gale Group Newsletter DatabaseTM
- Dialog Coverage: 1988 - present, Full Text: 1988 - present
Full text of specialized industry newsletters that provide information on companies, products, markets, and technologies.
Gale Group PROMT
- Dialog Coverage: 1990 - present, Full Text: 1990 - present
- STN Coverage: 1978 - present, Full Text: 1978 - present
International coverage of companies, products, markets, and applied technologies for all industries.
Abstracts and full text records from trade and business journals, newsletters and releases, analyst reports, annual reports, some local newspapers.
Gale Group Trade & Industry DatabaseTM
- Dialog Coverage: 1976 - present, Full Text: 1976 - present
Multi-industry database covering international company, industry, product, and market information.
Game Manufacturers Association
- Game Manufacturers Association Coverage: - N/A, Full Text: - N/A
Connects, supports, educates, and promotes the people and companies involved in the world of games.
- Dialog Coverage: 1993 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Contains details of all papers given at every congress, symposium, conference, exposition, workshop, and meeting received at the British Library Document Supply Centre.
This resource may contain relevant information.
JICST-EPlus - Japanese Science & Technology
- Dialog Coverage: 1985 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- STN Coverage: 1985 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English citations and abstracts covering the literature published in Japan on all fields of science, technology, and medicine.
Index to Japanese scientific and technical journals, conferences, and reports, with English citations and abstracts.
- Dialog Coverage: 1609 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Bibliographic database, international, which covers all aspects of sport, fitness, recreation, and related fields.
Wilson Applied Science & Technology Abstracts
- Dialog Coverage: 1983 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Science and technology journal abstracts.
Comprehensive indexing and abstracting of more than 400 core English language scientific and technical publications.
INTERNET SEARCH TOOLS
An Internet search should be considered when a search
of the resources listed above fails to locate relevant prior art.
A preliminary Internet search may be performed to obtain an overview
of the technology, and to identify additional search terms and related
- Google Coverage: - N/A, Full Text: - N/A
Internet search engine.
Used to locate video game directories.
Public Comments on the Search Templates
Public comments on the search templates are invited.
Comments should address the points enumerated in the Criteria
for Evaluating Recommended Search Resources. Comments can be
submitted via the Search
Template Project e-mail link on each template page or by mail
Mail Stop Patents Search Template Comments
Commissioner for Patents
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
Electronic submission is preferred. The Office will respond to comments in writing.