U. S. PATENT RESOURCES
As general guidance, a complete search of U. S. patents in this art area will include the following:
- A classified search of the original classification class and subclass for the subject matter and the other highly relevant art areas in the US patent documents
- A text search of the US patent documents; patents, PG PUB, and OCR databases:
- Broad text search for the general inventive concept(s), not limited by classification
- Narrow text search for the specific claimed invention
- Boolean text search employing the relevant inventive terms
The resources listed below are internal USPTO search
tools. However, the information that they cover is available either
commercially, on the USPTO web site, or in the Public Search Facility
on the USPTO Headquarters campus and the Patent and Trademark Depository
- EAST Coverage: 1971 - present, Full Text: 1971 - present
- WEST Coverage: 1971 - present, Full Text: 1971 - present
Full text patent and inventor searching.
EAST or WEST is used for text, class/subclass, and inventor searching. Queries may include classification parameters when combined with other terms to be searched in the technical content of the application. Search technique varies with each case. Some cases involve how a blade, for example, is attached, or deal with very broad terms (classified search is best in those cases). Other cases have more exacting language, for example, golf course repair. Backward and forward citation searching has proven to be useful for this class.
BRS Search/USOCR Database
- EAST Coverage: 1920 - 1970, Full Text: 1920 - 1970
- WEST Coverage: 1920 - 1970, Full Text: 1920 - 1970
Full text of U.S. patent grants.
Searched in combination with US Patents and PGPubs.
- EAST Coverage: 2001 - present, Full Text: 2001 - present
- WEST Coverage: 2001 - present, Full Text: 2001 - present
U.S. published applications.
Searched in combination with US Patents and BRS/USOCR.
FOREIGN PATENT RESOURCES
Searched separately from the U.S. Patent Search. These databases consist of abstract documents. Text searching abstracts requires the use of different search logic e.g. the use of broad Boolean and/or operators instead of narrow proximity operators.
Derwent World Patents Index and the contents of the EPO Abstracts and JPO Abstracts are available commercially.
Derwent World Patents Index, Classification and Text Search
- EAST Coverage: 1963 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- WEST Coverage: 1963 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English abstracts database of patent documents from more than 40 patent-issuing authorities.
Used for text searching.
EPO Abstracts, Text and Classification Search
- EAST Coverage: 1978 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- WEST Coverage: 1978 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English abstracts database of patents and published applications from EPO, WO/PCT, United Kingdom, France, Germany, and Switzerland. USPC searching is limited to documents added to the database from 1978 to September 30, 1995.
Used for text searching.
JPO Abstracts, Text and Classification Search
- EAST Coverage: 1976 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- WEST Coverage: 1976 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English abstracts database of Japanese published unexamined applications. USPC searching is limited to documents added to the database from 1978 to September 30, 1995.
Used for text searching.
NON-PATENT LITERATURE RESOURCES
The resources listed are those that USPTO staff have found consistently yield the most relevant search results.
Commercial databases available through a single vendor can generally be searched simultaneously,
although it is preferable to search full text and bibliographic databases in separate
groupings. In addition to the use of subscription databases and public Internet
sites, it is recommended that books, manuals, standards and specifications be
considered in the search for prior art.
- STIC online catalog Coverage: Dates - vary, Full Text: Dates - vary
Used to obtain specific product information.
Gale Group PROMT
- Dialog Coverage: 1990 - present, Full Text: 1990 - present
- STN Coverage: 1978 - present, Full Text: 1978 - present
International coverage of companies, products, markets, and applied technologies for all industries.
Abstracts and full text records from trade and business journals, newsletters and releases, analyst reports, annual reports, some local newspapers.
- Dialog Coverage: 1974 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Provides international coverage of over 5,000 serials, books from over 2,000 publishers, geological maps, and doctoral dissertations.
Comprehensive database covering all types of information sources in geoscience, hydroscience, and environmental science.
- Dialog Coverage: 1785 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- STN Coverage: 1785 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Covers worldwide technical literature on geology and geophysics.
Produced by the American Geophysical Institute. Indexes papers from over 13,000 serials and other publications representative of the 29 societies that are members of the AGI.
JICST-EPlus - Japanese Science & Technology
- Dialog Coverage: 1985 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- STN Coverage: 1985 - present, Full Text: - N/A
English citations and abstracts covering the literature published in Japan on all fields of science, technology, and medicine.
- Knovel Coverage: Dates - vary, Full Text: Dates - vary
Science and engineering books and databases.
Full text engineering and scientific reference books with interactive tables and graphs. Titles include Mark's Standard Handbook for Mechanical Engineers.
NTIS: National Technical Information Service
- Dialog Coverage: 1964 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- STN Coverage: 1964 - present, Full Text: - N/A
U.S. government-sponsored research, development, and engineering reports.
- Dialog Coverage: 1973 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- Questel Orbit Coverage: 1967 - present, Full Text: - N/A
- STN Coverage: 1977 - present, Full Text: - N/A
Multidisplinary, multilingual bibliographic database covering the major international literature in science, technology, and medicine.
Index to scientific and technical literature produced by the French National Research Council. Each citation includes the original title and usually French- and English-translated titles and indexing terms. Most abstracts are in French.
- ProQuest Coverage: Dates - vary, Full Text: 1986 - present
Current periodicals and newspapers, as well as archives of major newspapers.
Contains a wide variety of magazines, newspapers and scholarly journals including newspapers dating back to the 19th century.
INTERNET SEARCH TOOLS
An Internet search should be considered when a search
of the resources listed above fails to locate relevant prior art.
A preliminary Internet search may be performed to obtain an overview
of the technology, and to identify additional search terms and related
- Google Coverage: - N/A, Full Text: - N/A
Internet search engine.
This search engine may provide information on broad topics, specific companies, devices, individuals, materials, products, and properties.
Public Comments on the Search Templates
Public comments on the search templates are invited.
Comments should address the points enumerated in the Criteria
for Evaluating Recommended Search Resources. Comments can be
submitted via the Search
Template Project e-mail link on each template page or by mail
Mail Stop Patents Search Template Comments
Commissioner for Patents
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
Electronic submission is preferred. The Office will respond to comments in writing.