2232 Public Access [R-08.2012]
Reexamination files are open to inspection by the general public by way of the Public PAIR via the USPTO Internet site. In viewing the images of the reexamination proceedings, members of the public will be able to view the entire content of the reexamination file with the exception of non-patent literature. To access Public PAIR, a member of the public would (A) go to the USPTO web site at http://www.uspto.gov, (B) click on the “Site Index” link, (C) click on the letter “E” in the index, (D) click on the link to the Electronic Business Center, (E) in the “Patents” column, click on the “? Status & View Documents” link, (F) select “Patent Application Information Retrieval” and select “Control Number” as the type of number, (G) enter the control number of the reexamination proceeding in the “Enter Number” box, and (H) click on “Search.”
If a copy of the reexamination file is requested, it may be ordered from the Document Services Division of the Office of Public Records (OPR). Orders for such copies must indicate the control number of the reexamination proceeding. Orders should be addressed as follows:
Mail Stop Document Services
Director of the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
P.O. Box 1450
Alexandria, VA 22313-1450
Requests for a copy of a request may also be sent via e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org, and the cost of the copy may be charged to a credit card or deposit account. Alternatively, a copy may be obtained from IFW via PAIR.
To obtain a “certified copy” of a reexamination file, a CD-ROM may be purchased from Document Services Division of OPR.
2232.01 Determining if a Reexamination Request Was Filed for a Patent [R-08.2012]
TO DETERMINE FROM PAIR OR PALM IF A REEXAMINATION REQUEST HAS BEEN FILED FOR A GIVEN PATENT NUMBER
Both the Internet and the USPTO Intranet can be accessed to determine if a reexamination request has been filed for a particular patent.
A. Using the Internet
- - Log on to the
- Go to USPTO Website located at http://www.uspto.gov.
- Click on the “Site Index” link.
- Click on the letter “E” in the index.
- Click on the link to the Electronic Business Center.
- Click on the “? Status & View Documents” link.
- Select “Patent Application Information Retrieval” and select “Patent Number” as the type of number and enter the patent number (e.g., 5806063 – no commas are to be inserted) in the “Enter Number” box.
- Click on “Search.”
- Click the “Continuity Data” button.
- Scroll to “Child Continuity Data” where any related reexamination will be listed. Ex parte reexaminations are identified by the unique “90” series code, e.g., 90/005,727. Inter partes reexaminations are identified by the unique “95” series code, e.g., 95/000,001.
- Clicking on the underlined (hyperlinked) reexamination number will reveal the “Contents” for the reexamination file.
B. Using the USPTO Intranet
- - From the USPTO
Intranet site http://ptoweb/ptointranet/index.htm, Office personnel can
click on “PALM” and then “General Information” which opens the PALM INTRANET
General Information Display.
- From here, enter the patent number in the box labeled Patent #.
- Click on “Search” and when the “Patent Number Information” appears, click on “Continuity Data” to obtain the reexamination number.
Any reexamination for the patent number will be listed.
There will be about a ten (10) day lag between filing and data entry into the PALM database.