How 100% Electronic Communication Can Save Time and Money
While more than 99% of trademark applications are now filed electronically, only 80% are being prosecuted electronically from beginning to end; i.e., all subsequent submissions are made through the Trademark Electronic Application System (TEAS) combined with authorizing the USPTO to communicate with the applicant or its representative exclusively via email. The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) believes that, to the extent that it can achieve end-to-end electronic processing of all applications, all trademark applicants will benefit.
Benefits of Full Electronic Filing and Communication
With end-to-end electronic processing, applications go through the system more quickly at a lower cost. Further, by filing electronically, applicants can ensure the accuracy of data entry.
1. On average, almost 35% of all TEAS PLUS applications proceed directly to publication without an Office action. For paper and TEAS applications, that number is significantly lower.
2. The average time from filing to disposal (i.e., registration, notice of allowance or abandonment, excluding cases with suspensions, TTAB proceedings and amendments to allege use) is 9.4 months for TEAS PLUS applications, 10.8 months for TEAS applications, and 12.5 months for paper applications.
1. Applicants save money up front with lower electronic application fees. Current fees are:
-TEAS PLUS: $225 per class (TEAS PLUS applications must be filed and prosecuted end-to-end electronically and the applicant must choose its goods and services from a pre-approved list.)
-TEAS Reduced Fee (TEAS RF): $275 per class (TEAS RF applications must be filed and prosecuted end-to-end, but the applicant does not need to choose from a pre-approved list of goods or services.)
-TEAS Regular: $325 per class (TEAS Regular applications must be filed electronically but need not be prosecuted end-to-end electronically and the applicant does not need to choose from a pre-approved list of goods or services.)
-Paper: $375 per class.
2. Filing a TEAS PLUS application significantly reduces the chance that the applicant will receive an Office action based on the description of goods and services and therefore saves on overall costs to applicant.
(3) DATA ACCURACY
Almost all data submitted electronically is automatically uploaded into the USPTO databases. Paper filings require manual data entry, increasing the likelihood of data entry errors.
If You Are Not 100% Electronic, Please Email Us to Say Why
If you are not communicating with us 100% electronically, please email us at TMFeedback@uspto.gov with answers to the following questions:
- If you do not authorize email correspondence, why not?
- If you file your application electronically but then file Office action responses and/or other documents on paper, why?
The USPTO is dedicated to increasing electronic communications by users. Please help us accomplish this goal. WE WANT TO HEAR FROM YOU! Thank you.