Public User's Meeting
Public Records Division/Public Information Services Division
Public User’s Meeting
April 18, 2007 2:00 p.m.
Jefferson Building Conference Center
The Public User's Meeting was held at 2:00 p.m. in the 1st floor conference room 1D70/1D80 of the Jefferson Building at 500 Dulany Street on the USPTO campus in Alexandria, Virginia. Diane Lewis, Manager, Public Search Facilities, Public Information Services Division, chaired the meeting. There were 5 members of the public in attendance.
- Public participation in USPTO Web Redesign Focus Session was recognized by meeting chairperson.
- Next month's meeting will be in the Randolph conference room 1D04/1D14 on May 16, 2007 at 2:00pm.
Public Search Facility Update
- Acting on public user's suggestion, detailed instructions on the use of the microfilm reader/printers in the Public Search Facility are now available.
- UPWS feedback – Wifi access has been unstable these past weeks as reported by several public users. Engineers are testing the access points to determine origin the problem. One user characterizes the connections as spotty or unstable with no internet connectivity. Internet connection is sporadic. USPTO technical personnel report there is some unapproved access detected in the area . Since the meeting discussion the Wifi network configuration was adjusted to improve stability of the service.
- UPWS Bulletin Board under the UPWS tab is now available to keep public users informed about known system related problems.
- Use of UPWS broadcast messages will continue as another communication channel to keep public users informed about facility operational concerns.
- Public PAIR problems related to the retrieval of images remains an open problem. Public Search Facilities staff have identified a work around to the problem and are working with individual public users who encounter this image retrieval problem . The Public PAIR system personnel are aware of the problem and are working on a permanent solution.
- IFW data access problem experienced during April was discussed. Specific problem reports have been passed on to technical personnel as well as Patents to ensure problem is addressed in a timely manner.
- Maintenance Release of UPWS will be deployed this weekend, version 2.9. This software release will implement fixes for reported problems such as text transfer. Before deployment a beta version of the software was tested by the Public Search Facilities staff.
Public Records Division Update
- There were no information updates.
- Is the report from the focus group session available to the general public?
- Public user suggested the possibility of establishing an Internet e-mail based list service – especially to announce emergency closings to the searching public.
- Public user suggested placing a feed back check box on the USPTO web page during the focus during the focus group session, however, so far no such change has been implemented. Will it be addressed? USPTO Web site redesign team will consider all input received.
- One public user stated that he was very impressed with how the space was designed to separate the public search space and the GIobal Patent Academy classrooms.
- Public Users were informed that facility management would probably be testing the alarm systems given the facility space changes.
- Public user inquired about the time period between when Word Only registrations were removed from the Trademark Search Facility and when the microfilm reels of the collection documents would be accessible to the public. Response comment: The specific schedule for removal of the documents and the subsequent delivery of microfilm reels containing Microfilming of Word-Only registrations will be determined by the vendor's project schedule and quality assurance review activities conducted by the Public Search Facility staff. Documents are to be removed over a two week period to accomplish the microfilming as speedily as possible. Public users will be kept informed about availability of documents and microfilm reels.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:15 pm.
Next month's meeting will be in the Randolph Conference Room 1D04/1D14 on May 16, 2007 at 2:00 pm.