Public User's Meeting
Public Records Division/Public Information Services Division
Public User’s Meeting
March 21, 2007 2:00 p.m.
Randolph Building Conference Center
The Public Users Meeting was held at 2:00 p.m. in the 1st floor conference room 1D04/1D14 of the Randolph Building at 401 Dulany Street on the USPTO campus in Alexandria, Virginia. Ted Parr, Director of Customer Information Services Group, chaired the meeting. There were 8 members of the public in attendance.
Next month's meeting will be in the Jefferson Building Conference Center 1D70/1D80
Update Removal and Microfilming of Classified Paper Registrations – Lynne Beresford, Commissioner of Trademarks and Cynthia Lynch, Trademark Deputy Director
- Advance notice was given that May 1, 2007, is the last date for word mark only registrations to be filed in the Trademark Search Facility.
- Design Coding requirements will be based on current paper classification coding.
- X-Search record will show the registration design code.
- Customer expressed concerns about database record integrity. An example of a registration data problem was given to Ms. Beresford. Initially information is not retrieved or displayed. When database record is displayed the information shown is backdated 6 months. File histories field does not show entries. Application information is available but is backdated. Trademark Office will look into reported data problem.
- Public User reported that there was a reoccurring problem related to X-Search use. On a reoccurring basis he is unable to print the receipt page.
Public Search Facility Update
- Facility Emergency alarms have been triggered inadvertently in the Public Search Facility. These frequent alarms are caused because of the realignment and reactivation of the facility emergency doors now that construction has been completed. Facility staff is being briefed on emergency exits/entrances as well as need to use access cards to enter previously unalarmed doors.
- Facility improvements after construction have occurred such as the new location for the bust of Thomas Jefferson and the relocation of the printed plant patents collection.
- Reinstallation of 12 UPWS workstations on the first floor of the facility is expected to be completed end of March 2007.
- Facility staff working on the creation of a printed suggestion form. Suggestion form is in response to public user suggestion.
- UPWS problem was reported regarding the short time for responding to the print acknowledgment screen. If the print command is not executed within 120 seconds the system logs the user out which means the loss or corruption of any workspace data.
- UPWS problem was reported whereby the application PubEAST logs the public user out when trying to print front page of patent documents. This causes the user to have to log into the system again.
Public Records Division Update
There were no information updates.
Customer inquiry: status for order of certified copy the order was entered 3 days after it was emailed. Customer has a question about turn around times for at-cost orders. These two inquiries will be brought to the attention of Managers Marilyn Ricks-Beach and Amanda Putnam for resolution.
The meeting was adjourned at 3:00 pm.
Next meeting is April 18, 2007, at 2:00pm in the Jefferson Building at 500 Dulany Street on the USPTO campus in Alexandria, Virginia , room 1D70/1D80.